Aurelian Resources Was Stolen By Kinross and Management But Will Not Be Forgotten

The company whose shareholders were better than its management

Free

Hey Ankeroo,

Just a couple of quick points:

- Rob is long gone from goldcorp management although you would never know it as he took the role as investor activist during the recent glamis purchase.

-LRG - could not agree more, this is not investment advice but you would really have to hate your money to buy that POS.

-we will never know the particulars of that 1.2million share dump. I wouldn't get hung up in the particulars though. Institutions jitney through each other daily. I do have an intimate knowledge of Institutional order flow so I'll give you an example.

Hedge Fund Manager A needs to unload a big position. He doesn't like the street knowing his every move so he has accounts set up on all the big desks. Today his order is particularily big so he calls up his favourite Institutional trader over at CIBC. Tells the trader he needs to unload 1.2million shares. The hedge fund may or may not have the shares at CIBC, the relationship exists so the CIBC trader knows the Hedge Fund will make delivery(DAP accounts take care of that).

The commission is paid for on a cost per share basis by the hedge fund- possibly as much as a cent- making this a $120k ticket for the trader (rember rob cohen -i think it was him- voting strongly against the split sighting his cost would go up- think a cent or two a share and you see it from his side). When you work an Institutional order you are marked against that securities ave trade price for the day. Meaning at the end of the day, they type it into the Bloomberg terminal to determine what the stocks ave price for the day was. If it's a sell, the client wants to see the price of his sell at or above the average on the day. If its a buy the client wants to see it at a price lower than the average. In order to do this the trader must A. be good at reading the mkt but more importantly B. have contacts throughout the industry that he can call on to find the other side of the transaction when trading size(big orders). So if you head over to say Canoe(a Toronto upscale bar/restaurant) on a Friday night, you will find these guys from competing firms building relationships. The top traders take home more than the CEO's of the banks they work for.

There is a reason for the rambling above. While as I said we will never know the exact details behind the trade today- looking at it we can deduct a lot.

Since the crosses were done below the current price we know they were initiated by a seller.

The trader himself might have made $50k on this trade or more, so we know he's good(wouldn't get the business otherwise). If he was given time he could have worked this order and probably unloaded the whole thing over two days at todays ave price, prior to the crosses, which was likely $8.08. This is what the traders paid to do. Take big orders and find homes without the seller taking a bath. Therefore this surely was not a planned transaction. IMO, it had to be a trader taking a call from the client, around 2pm, and saying he wanted out of 1.2m shs before mkt close at pretty much any price. I think it was likely a mutual or hedge fund that got their hands on that story out of Cuba that was posted here. Saw the stock was not moving down and figured he had a jump on the news...

That's my opinion anyway. Could have been 51 other things I'm sure, but I'd weight the above at 50% and give all of the other possibilities a 1% weighting each.

Regards,

Buck

New Message
Please login to post a reply