Aurelian Resources Was Stolen By Kinross and Management But Will Not Be Forgotten

The company whose shareholders were better than its management

Free

Double Counting The Shorts

posted on Sep 24, 2008 06:51PM

This has been bugging me for a couple of weeks. With several million share being shorted whose shares have been counted twice?

I mean if I bought shares from someone that shorted they would be in my account to be held or tendered as I wanted since I would 'own them'. Now the guy that sold the short position needs to replace them from someone's holding but there are not enough shares out there so how does this effect the count of 'tendered shares' ?

To add gas to the fire what if its Kinross shorting their PP and so that the shorted shares are counted when the buyers (they don't know if they bought shares that were shorted) tender. Potentially 5 million plus 'shorted shares' could have been tendered as part of the 89.5% collected to date. If thats the case has Kinross put the PP shares in play in their favour and don't have to account for the 15million shares from the PP that they 'borrowed' from themself to short ARU but see them being tendered back to them as part of the process.

Would this be legal? How would you find out who the source of the 'borrowed shares' were? Do the shorts have to be closed out before Kinross can go to the court to ask for a forced sell? Have these shares been counted twice?

Something is fishy here. With about 15 million share not being tendered who has lent the 5 million shares that are still short??

New Message
Please login to post a reply