Welcome to the Connacher Oil and Gas Hub on AGORACOM

Connacher is a growing exploration, development and production company with a focus on producing bitumen and expanding its in-situ oil sands projects located near Fort McMurray, Alberta

Free

Business decisions.

posted on Mar 27, 2009 10:04PM

When I was still training racehorses, I would marvel at how many owners would keep losers when there wasn't any chance that these animals were going to add to their bottom line.---I can recall qualifying a youngster, and then entering that youngster into a cheap claimer.----I had many inquiries into this colt's health because I did what is rarely done and that was to move this fellow out of my stable before racing him first.---The owner that ended up grabbing this colt was satisfied with just having a winning horse, even if it meant that he was racing on the 'B' circuit.----I moved this colt because it was a sound business decision.----You can race on the 'B' circuit, but you can't turn a profit, and I wasn't in this business just to race and end up just in the winner's circle, while barely just covering costs.----Now the reason I wrote the above was to bring up the decision by our management to continue to refine when it was not just a loser with the higher oil prices of last year, but a huge loser.----Doesn't it seem like a bad business decision with the losses it created?-----Now they shut down some of the production on POD 1 when they began to produce at a loss, so why did they not do the same with the refinery.-----I find it incredible that all these refineries were refining at a loss.-----Why, if there's a shortage of refineries, don't they dictate a certain price to refine for these companies, and not buy the oil at those over inflated prices and refine it for themselves?-----Any comments as to why they would operate at a loss?----I feel sorry for job losses, but this is a business decision that has to be made.----Those numbers released for the 2'nd quarter of last year were not justified for any well run company, and if I were an owner of a company that reported numbers such as that, heads would have rolled.----CHEERS!!!

New Message
Please login to post a reply