Welcome to the Connacher Oil and Gas Hub on AGORACOM

Connacher is a growing exploration, development and production company with a focus on producing bitumen and expanding its in-situ oil sands projects located near Fort McMurray, Alberta

Free

A Partner For The New PODS

posted on Jan 12, 2010 10:47AM

It doesn't sound like a bad deal for Connacher if they can find a partner for the expansion of the new PODS only. By this I mean that Connacher continues to own 100% of the Great Divide and Algar PODS. A partner, such as a pension fund , could be brought in to buy 50% of the new expansion POD's and 50% of the MRCI refinery expansion by provinding 70% of the capital to build them. The pipeline, as I have said before, can be financed entirely by the pipeline company that build's the pipeline and maintains it and can charge Connacher a levy on each barrel of bitumen that goes through the pipeline per day over 3-4 years and once the pipeline company has recouped its construction costs and a profit from the levy, it will then turn the pipeline 100% over to Connacher's pipeline subsidiary so that Connacher becomes responsible for the running and maintenance of the pipeline. This is standard practice in the industry. I think that such a scenario would be of great benefit to us as shareholders as long as we retain 100% ownership of what we have paid for so far with the exception of the refinery. A partner for the refinery would share the associated risk.

Thinking outside of the box for a minute. How much would it cost to dismantle the MRCI refinery and move it north lock stock and barrel and reassenble it at the Great Divide? This has been done before. Russian companies have bought entire automobile assembly plants and other factories in the USA and dismantled them and moved them to Russia and reassembled them. The MRCI refinery is very small. You could take it apart, ship the parts north, and when you reassemble them in Alberta then you could expand the size of the refinery at the same time. Another idea which may or may not be feasible, (you tell me) is that there is a refinery being completely shut down in Connecticut in 2010 as well as a refinery in Montreal. Couldn't Connacher purchase a lot of the parts that they would need for the proposed MRCI expansion by obtaining them from a refinery that is being decommissioned? Is this possible? I'm just throwing this out there not knowing whether it will work or not. I am no engineer.

Best Wishes; Scott

New Message
Please login to post a reply