Welcome to the Connacher Oil and Gas Hub on AGORACOM

Connacher is a growing exploration, development and production company with a focus on producing bitumen and expanding its in-situ oil sands projects located near Fort McMurray, Alberta

Free

US Election

posted on Nov 03, 2008 06:52AM

There has been quite a lengthy discussion within the Discussion Forum on the US election which I believe is better placed here. Kind of funny, but I look at the two candidates as a Canadian paying US taxes without the right of voting in their election (I am a resident of Canada but have significant personal service contracts and business investments within the US). In addition to this work, until last year I have been involved in a variety of time frames working in Oman, UAE, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia with a number of companies including Saudi Aramco, SABIC and Saudi Services in Houston.

With this background I then look at the two candidates as to which will be more open, nonprotectionist toward foreign trade as well as more ammenable toward oilsand products entering the US market. One candidate (Obama) in Ohio stated that he will renegotiate NAFTA to protect American jobs and another candidate (McCain) who stated that the US needs Canadian oil. In addition one candidate visited Canada (McCain) to state his willingness to work with Canadians toward making NAFTA work even better than currently.

After these factors together with a number of others, I guess it is obvious to me as to what candidate will be more beneficial to our country and my investment in CLL. Long term do believe Canadian oil has to expand markets to lesson dependance upon one customer, thus my belief that the Enbridge proposal will have long term benefit to Canadian oil companies.

In addition to the above, I also monitor a number of newsletters to try and judge where things are going. One at http://www.investorsinsight.com/blog... provides some worrisome indicators as to the amount of growing US personal debt in the past few months much through credit cards, up nearly 2% in the week ending in October 15th. At the same time the amount of uncollectable credit card loans nearly doubled. The second biggest "merchant-vendor" of US credit cards is McDonalds leading to the observation that many customers are in distress if they have to charge a US $4 Big Mac and Fries.

A couple of thoughts

New Message
Please login to post a reply