Welcome to the Crystallex HUB on AGORACOM

Crystallex International Corporation is a Canadian-based gold company with a successful record of developing and operating gold mines in Venezuela and elsewhere in South America

Free

Question to RM Inre Open Pit Mining

posted on May 19, 2008 06:02AM
Richard, My understanding is that open-pit mining currently is not only legal in Vz, but not prohibited in the area of the Imataca Forest where LC and LB are. In order to prohibit such activities, wouldn't that require a formal Presidential Decree, which Chavez has until the end of July to enact (at which point the Enabling Act Expires), or approval of the NA (after the Enabling Act Expires)? Further, if open-pit mining does formally become prohibited in the area, would that not prohibit anyone subsequent to Kry from being able to mine the location without formal NA approval? I ask because it is not apparent to me that Ortega's latest proclamations are reflective of Chavez' position, and he would appear to be the only one that can alter current law. Comment? RM -- Yes, that would be my understanding on all 3 points in your email
New Message
Please login to post a reply