Welcome to the Crystallex HUB on AGORACOM

Crystallex International Corporation is a Canadian-based gold company with a successful record of developing and operating gold mines in Venezuela and elsewhere in South America

Free
Message: Venezuela's Chavez says Fidel Castro "Will Not Return" to Head Public Events

Venezuela's Chavez says Fidel Castro "Will Not Return" to Head Public Events

posted on Jan 11, 2009 03:09PM
That was a genius and insightful prediction Whogo Chacahchavez, who would have thunk it !

CARACAS -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez acknowledged Sunday that "regrettably" Cuban leader Fidel Castro will not return to lead official public events because of his delicate state of health. (really)

"Regrettably, we know that that will not occur again ... the former Fidel, who went through the streets and towns at daybreak ... with his uniform and embracing the people. It won't happen. It will remain a memory," Chavez said during his Sunday radio and television program "Alo Presidente."

The Venezuelan leader, who often calls Castro "father, brother, teacher or comrade," said he never imagined that the July 2006 visit he made with Castro to the former home of deceased revolutionary icon Ernesto "Che" Guevara in the Argentine city of Cordoba would be the last official act that they would undertake together.

During the visit to Che's house, "we became mischievous little boys again," (really) and afterwards Fidel "took me to the door of the plane, we gave each other an embrace. (huh.. really) How could I think, my God, that it was the last time" (weep, weep, wipe tears) they would appear in public together, the Venezuelan leader said.

"Fidel's going to live, as he is living and will always live, beyond physical life," (taxidermist?) added Chavez, who has frequently traveled to Havana in recent years to visit Castro.

The 82-year-old Cuban leader is convalescing from an intestinal ailment that has not allowed him to appear in public since July 2006. He stepped down from the Cuban presidency in favor of his younger brother Raul. (younger??)

President Rafael Correa of Ecuador who ended his visit to Cuba Sunday with a visit to the Che tomb did not get to meet with Fidel Castro.

"I haven't seen him. I'd love to see him, but I don't know the state of his health," Correa said Friday in response to a question from reporters about whether he would be meeting with Fidel.

Ecuador President Correa Visits "Che" Guevara's Mausoleum in Cuba
New Message
Please login to post a reply