Welcome to the Crystallex HUB on AGORACOM

Crystallex International Corporation is a Canadian-based gold company with a successful record of developing and operating gold mines in Venezuela and elsewhere in South America

Free

Chávez prepares cabinet reshuffle to tackle crisis

posted on Feb 17, 2009 09:31AM

A better disposition toward mining will be a plus for us because Chavez is ready now to take measures to readjust the economic flow of resources.

Economy
After casting his ballot last Sunday, President Hugo Chávez asked: "Who were my first Chief of Staff and my first Chief of the Government Press Office? I do not intend any alliance with the rich to damage the Venezuelan people."

The need to tackle the effects of the world financial crisis would lead Chávez to break with sectarianism and establish closer ties with the production sector.

A cabinet reshuffle will be announced after Carnival. Apparently, Chávez will appoint a new Vice-President. Several names are being considered: Foreign Minister Nicolás Maduro (although it seems that he is no interested in the position); Minister of Higher Education, Luis Acuña; and a leader of an allied party. Even former Executive Vice-President José Vicente Rangel has been added to the list of candidates.

Meanwhile, top government officials are aware that "some economic measures must be implemented," although they say that these steps will not represent a "social shock" for the majority of the country. The budgets allocated for various infrastructure projects will eventually be cut.

In a press conference held on Monday, José Albornoz, the secretary general of pro-government party Patria Para Todos, recommended that the cabinet includes people who are not members of the government alliance. "President Chávez is trying to "build bridges" to important sectors of the country. Tough times are about to come and these problems can not be only solved by the government," Albornoz said.

New Message
Please login to post a reply