Welcome to the Crystallex HUB on AGORACOM

Crystallex International Corporation is a Canadian-based gold company with a successful record of developing and operating gold mines in Venezuela and elsewhere in South America

Free

Venezuela to pay cement firms for takeover-media

posted on Apr 08, 2009 05:14PM
Alo hello Venezuela, its me Hugo, went on yet another trip and sold out YOUR resource for a song to Iran, Japan and China, I know desperate move, now I can pay for the cement companies and install incompetent fools to run it into the ground, some say I'm stupid and I am, but the still don't know I about the biggest idiot 'presidential statesman' in Latin America. I hope there is money left over to pay Crystallex if not will have to sell Mariflores Palace and move back into my mud hut, O well will still have my Hugo Boss suit
Wed Apr 8, 2009 4:17pm BST

CARACAS, April 8 (Reuters) - Venezuela within four months will pay compensation to cement makers affected by leftist President Hugo Chavez's 2008 nationalization of the sector, according to a local media report on Wednesday.

The OPEC nation's government last year signed accords with France's Lafarge (LAFP.PA) and Switzerland's Holcim Ltd (HOLN.VX) agreeing to some compensation for the state takeover.

Mexico's Cemex (CMXCPO.MX)(CX.N) did not reach an agreement and filed for arbitration. Holcim followed suit last month on complaints Venezuela halted communications about the payment.

Deputy Industry Minister Jesus Paredes, who also runs a newly created government cement company, said compensation to all three companies would be complete within four months, according to the daily newspaper El Universal.

The companies and the government were unavailable to comment.

Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez, charged with negotiating the cement takeovers, last month said Venezuela expects to resolve the dispute with Holcim through negotiations.

Venezuela launched a wave of nationalizations as oil prices skyrocketed to record highs last year, but is now struggling to pay bills as oil income as more than halved since the peak of crude prices in mid-2008.

Chavez in the last several years has taken over the country's top private electricity provider, the largest steelmaker, the principal telecommunications company and took operation control of all the nation's oil fields

New Message
Please login to post a reply