Welcome to the Crystallex HUB on AGORACOM

Crystallex International Corporation is a Canadian-based gold company with a successful record of developing and operating gold mines in Venezuela and elsewhere in South America

Free

Chavez "God is Venezuelan" / I'm not Venezuelan

posted on Jan 30, 2010 08:05PM
Chavez Thanks God for Rain, Prays for More Amid Power Rationing

By Daniel Cancel

Jan. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said that he thanked God this morning for a light rain in the capital, Caracas, and prayed for more as the worst drought in 50 years leads to electricity rationing.

Chavez said the country is vulnerable to extended dry periods because previous governments only invested in hydroelectric plants. Venezuela depends on hydroelectric power for 73 percent of energy needs and its thermoelectric plants, powered by natural gas and diesel, are running below capacity.

“This morning I said, ‘thank you God,’ drinking a hot coffee as I watched rain over Caracas,” Chavez said today in comments on state television. “Send us water, God, and since God is Venezuelan, I’m sure he’ll send us water.”

The government has ordered rolling blackouts throughout the South American country to prevent a collapse of the power grid. Chavez retracted a plan to save electricity in Caracas and fired his electricity minister after traffic lights were left without power. A new plan is being drafted.

Chavez, 55, is facing a public backlash over the rationing of electricity and water and has criticized the opposition, who he calls the “squalid ones,” for trying to use the power crisis to undermine his government.

“The squalid ones are praying to say ‘please don’t rain, please don’t rain,’” he said. “They’re hoping for a crisis to remove me from power. It’s not going to work.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Daniel Cancel in Caracas at dcancel@bloomberg.net

New Message
Please login to post a reply