Welcome to the Crystallex HUB on AGORACOM

Crystallex International Corporation is a Canadian-based gold company with a successful record of developing and operating gold mines in Venezuela and elsewhere in South America

Free
Message: "A national front is needed to curb Castro-communism"

Interview / Rafael Alfonzo, head of economic think tank Cedice

"A national front is needed to curb Castro-communism"

“He, who thinks that he can be safe for lowering his head or receiving any handout is wrong”

Alfonzo advocates “a true alternative the country deserves after half century of controls against the market natural trends” (Photo: Venancio Alcázares)

Politics
Rafael Alfonzo, the head of Cedice (Center for Dissemination of Economic Knowledge), a Venezuelan economic think tank, incarnates liberalism in a country where conflicting sides agree to condemn it. He considers we are on the brink of economic and moral collapse. He has abandoned the disaster for a couple of days to receive in the capital city of the US Empire the "Templeton Freedom Award" for his campaign entitled "A country of owners." In the words of the jury's decision, it is "a lighthouse which lights up the recent darkness in Venezuela."

What is the limit of nationalization?

The limit is Castro-communism, as part of a strategy where the State becomes the owner of everything. The grounds are alleged social ownership in a perverse game behind which the government wants to deny its true nature. Venezuelans should be aware that we are undergoing a process where all of us have a number. He, who thinks that he can be safe because he does not speak up, lowers his head or receives anything, is wrong. Peoples around the world have shown that they appreciate freedom when they lose it.

Is that the case for Venezuela?

Absolutely. It began in 1999, by laying a well structured siege on the production sector. Parallel trade unions were organized; price controls were enforced; red tape was enlarged, and a legal frame was drafted to stop production activities. Later, expropriations came, which were subsequently paid off, mostly in the case of foreign companies.

Was there discrimination?

That is of common knowledge.

Do you include Colombian businessmen among the favored ones?

The Colombian case is sadder, because economic advantages have been used regardless of others. And I say it for Colombian businessmen, who have not been supportive at all with Venezuelan businessmen, not even they have voiced any solidarity. I can understand that the Colombian president (Juan Manuel Santos) comes to Caracas to defend his fellowmen, but regrettably, he does it just like that, with such cynicism. It seems that he does not give a damn about the contents of the laptops (owned by deceased guerrilla leader Raúl Reyes), which contents he himself helped to disclose. It seems that he forgets about his government stability when he embraces (Venezuelan President Hugo) Chávez as if they were old friends and nothing had happened.

Does Santos' change of mind boil down to the debt issue?

The point at issue is just the USD 6 billion at stake in the bilateral trade, very important for them. Latin American businessmen are not worried about advocacy of freedom.

Do you mean economic freedom when speaking of "loss of freedom"?

I refer myself to fundamental rights, beginning with the right to life, which is not ensured in Venezuela. The five powers intended to control the State are used to keep it and take care of it. These officials must remember that tomorrow they will face the Rome Statute.

You say that the heads of the public branches and the government will be accountable to the Rome Statute. Do you think, then, that the current government will step down, no matter your opinion about us heading for communism?

It depends. If we do not lift a finger until Chávez officially announces the adoption of Castro-communism, it will happen because, as a matter of fact, we already have it. But our people should be aware of the importance of freedom and they have expressed it many times. You cannot affect so many people at the same time without a reaction, and the issue of property is a problem for the government.

Despite election results, it seems that people's refusal can be shown only by election means.

After (the events of) 2002 and the accusations of an alleged coup d'état which never happened, but a power void, the sensation remained that we cannot protest because the government will strike hard and whenever it wants to impose force, it will make it.

Can a government set to finish off democracy be democratically confronted?

Yes, if we can prove that we are the majority and we are strong enough. I am optimistic, because many Venezuelans would not like to leave the country or accept what we see.

Therefore, Chávez can be removed from office by election means in 2012.

I hope so. I am not emphatic, because in a country where there is not rule of law, saying it categorically is very difficult and I do not know how the powers, or the officials responsible for ensuring democracy, would react. Now, then, we should ascertain the true alternative the country deserves after half century of controls which run counter to the market natural trends.

Translated by Conchita Delgado

New Message
Please login to post a reply