Developing Processes For The Low-Cost Manufacturing Of High Purity Silicon Metals For Next-Generation Lithium-ion Batteries

Achieved final critical milestones, completing a successful silicon pour

Sponsored
Message: Re: HPQ Silicon Orders Next Series of R&D Tests From Pyrogenesis to Determine...

I have been thinking on the exact wording of this recent announcement and, after reviewing it again, will make an hypothesis or two based on how it is worded.

The first round of tests made silicon metal with purity of 3N+. In several areas of the announcement it advises that the “goal” is to get to 6N (solar grade) purity by means of the additional tests that were announced in this press release.So from this info I am pretty sure that 6N was NOT achieved on the first round of tests.

Since even achieving 4N purity results would, in my view, have been very significant it would have been announced if 4N (99.99) results had been reached.So, in my opinion, the first round of tests must have come up with purity results less than 4N - but good enough to initiate the pilot plant project.So we have a range somewhere between the two numbers 3N+ and 4N.In fact Mr. Bernard Tourillon says that 99.9+ Si results were achieved.Nowhere in the announcement is there any claim to a purity result higher that 99.9+.

From the above I would surmise that the first round of tests had results that were in the range of 9.991 to 9.998. This is indeed a great milestone.

The upcoming tests will for sure improve on these first results and, in the words of Mr. Pierre Carabin, “The additional tests will also allow us to further explore and confirm the capabilities of the technology with the ultimate goal of reaching 99.9999% purity." After these new tests we will have a good idea what purity level the pilot plant will be attempting to achieve under a commercial production environment.It appears that electronics grade silicon (9N) is not being targeted at this time. Just the same 6N is perfectly fine with me!

I am sure everyone will be anxiously waiting for the announcement on the second round of tests.

GLTA
Cheers!
Z_Greek

New Message
Please login to post a reply