Developing Processes For The Low-Cost Manufacturing Of High Purity Silicon Metals For Next-Generation Lithium-ion Batteries

Achieved final critical milestones, completing a successful silicon pour

Sponsored

I would like to correct my understanding of the overall situation Bernard, if that would be OK.

The January 2017 report states that the yield increased from 0.1 gram to 8.8 grams (on test 32) in a single test (I always understood it was one batch per test for Gen 1) And it was also stated in the news release that a 9000 % increase in yield was achieved. 

There is no confusion in what was stated in words. The images do not seem to offer further clarification since they are photographs comparing two different tests (batches?), that the test 32 batch was made up of a bunch of chunks does not seem to change what was stated. Am I understanding this correctly?

Since the final overall report from November 2017 indicated that the maximum yield obtained during testing of Gen 1 was less than 10% and that test 32 produced 8.8 grams (at maximum yield of less than 10%), the recent Gen 2 test report must actually be indicating that the 8.5 gram batch yield used 5.7 Times less Quartz. A great result!

Just to re-cap, test 32 was reported to have produced in a single batch, 8.8 grams of silicon, with the highest yield at a yield less than 10% (based on the final report) which means that the Quartz feedstock quantity must have been about 88 grams (about 900 % above theoretical requirement). 

The new Gen2 unit is reported to have increased the yield by 5.7 times. This can only have been achieved by reducing the amount of Quartz feed used by about 5.7 times, which suggests the amount of Quartz used to make the reported 8.5 grams must have been around  14.9 grams. Is my understanding correct Bernard?

In addition to the greatly reduced amount of Quartz used, the Gen 2 batch was produced 23 times faster than the fastest time in Gen 1, according to the latest report. Also a great result!

This all based on what has been reported in published news releases, indicates that the Gen 2 yield now only has to be increased by 14.9/8.5 (about 175%) to get to 100% yield. Clearly the maximum practical may only be 90% yield as indicated in the final report from November, so a yield improvement of about 165% is required to get to where the purity is expected to be around 4N according to the final Gen 1 report.

Please correct me where I have misunderstood Bernard.

Thank you.

New Message
Please login to post a reply