Developing Processes For The Low-Cost Manufacturing Of High Purity Silicon Metals For Next-Generation Lithium-ion Batteries

Achieved final critical milestones, completing a successful silicon pour

Sponsored
Sep 22, 2018 11:35AM

Well I hope no one minds but I'm going to step in here as I have based my investment here off of Apollon solar's PHOTOSIL process and how far they have come, before they partnered with us.

PHOTOSIL is a batch type reactor. It starts with an upgrade metallurgical silicon (UMG1) bought from metallurgist. Apollon then remelts/segregates the UMG1 into a more refined/pure UMG Silicon (UMG2). The UMG2 is solidified and then transferred to the plasma purification and solidification unit. Once purified via plasma, it is then solidified either into Solar grade silicon (multi crystalline) ingots with directional solidification or into solar grade silicon feedstock with rapid solidification for Cz ingots.

In regards of the process, it differs from PUREVAP as PHOTOSIL is a batch process and not a semi continuous process. It also starts with a Upgraded Metallurgical Silicon and not raw quartz. Even though it's reduces the amount of steps compared to the conventional Siemens way, it still requires more steps compared to PUREVAP process and is missing a few pieces of technology Pyrogenesis are master of.

In terms of the equipment, PHOTOSIL does not have any vacuum type process to assist element volitization as the plasma purification is done just slightly above atmospheric pressure. The plasma torch also blasts on the silicon surface inside the reactor for the PHOTOSIL process vs. PUREVAPS plasma submerged arc. These are just a few blatent and important differences between the reactors that I can gather through text as I still dream to see her one day.

The idea of PHOTOSIL started before 2004 and over the past 14+ years Apollon have gathered significant amounts of R&D alongside FerroPem (with European Union funding) in attaining Solar silicon through the upgraded metallurgical route. They have successfully accomplished such with the PHOTOSIL process, however what held them back was low cell efficiency (16% at first, now now averaging 18% due to continuous R&D on UMG Si refinement & doping) and the oversupply of Polysilicon (20% efficiency) in the market dropping prices.

Until PUREVAP came along they were just waiting for the market to be fully absorb the polycrystalline cells, however as I described our process is now far superior to theirs, providing scalability which does not seem to be an issue to Apollon or Pyrogenesis. Apollon has already successfully scaled the PHOTOSIL process from a lab scale reactor producing multiple batches of hugh purity silicon to produce a 50-kg Ingot for cell testing, to a Gen1 pilot plant producing 50 kg batches which was double to 120kg batches by the end of its life and then on to a Gen 2 pilot plant which produced 250 kg batches of Solar Grade Silicon.

As you can see Apollon have great expertise in upgraded metallurgical silicon refinement and being able to turn it into solar grade silicon. They also have a foot in the door in regards to the solar market and can even manufacture state of the art, NICE solar modules. To say specifically what Apollon will be doing for us is probably a bit difficult as they will have many spots and roles to fill when needed. Nonetheless an amazing partner to have on board with us and looking forward to the future!!! Still blows my mind they recognize our process and are now partners with us as a significant portion of my DD was based off their findings ^_^

Hope this helps in the meantime =)

Sep 26, 2018 11:34AM
Sep 26, 2018 12:07PM
Sep 26, 2018 12:21PM
Sep 29, 2018 05:25PM
Sep 29, 2018 07:23PM
New Message
Please login to post a reply