Developing Processes For The Low-Cost Manufacturing Of High Purity Silicon Metals For Next-Generation Lithium-ion Batteries

Achieved final critical milestones, completing a successful silicon pour

Sponsored

Yes, I meant to 2L/hour. Didn't that's what I get posting on my phone at work.

Either way, something is fishy with how this was presented.  Both by HPQ and EBH2.

So you are suggesting using solar to charge a battery, then discharge that battery to generate hydrogen, then burn that hydrogen to generate power, then use that power to run something?

Why not just run that "something" with solar? Too intermittent? Then use the solar to charge the battery and use the battery to run that something. Or use the solar to run power your hydrogen generator and then use the hydrogen to generate power for your "something". 

You have losses at every conversion step along the way.  Your best case scenario is to use as few steps as possible to store as much energy as you can generate, as cheaply and efficiently as possible. Perhaps that what we have here? Solar array to power EBH2 generator which will be more cost effective and/or more efficient for storage than battery tech? 

They still need to generate all the power they needed to run the processes in the first place, plus efficiency losses into and out of storage. So we they'll need solar/wind/hydro or some other green energy to see much benefit.

Not saying this is a useless invention. Just that how it was presented made it seem like something it is not. You can't "power" anything with this directly as it takes more energy to perform the electrolysis than you get out. You can simply use it as a form of energy storage.  Which makes their claim that you don't need to store hydrogen false as well.

The more I think about this EBH2 tech, the more holes I see. I'm long HPQ for what they can do with quartz to silicon, nano powders, and fumed silica. This annoucement feels off to me as nothing adds up. Unless Bernard can fill in some of the gaps for us, I'm going to think he got taken a fool by some snake oil salesmen, and that's not a company I feel safe investing in.  There are a good number of intelligent and technically minded individuals on this forums and others, and the same questions keep popping up so I don't think it's just me. 

New Message
Please login to post a reply