Ni, Co, Cu, PGM, Au Properties in Ontario Canada

Producing Mines and "state-of-the-art" Mill

Free

Timmins Daily Press Today

posted on Sep 29, 2008 07:06AM

Rescue teams up for the challenge

Posted By CHELSEY ROMAIN THE DAILY PRESS

First aid skills were put to the test Friday for teams from four local mines that participated in the Adamson First Aid Competition.

Teams came out from four local mines, Liberty Mines, Goldcorp, Xstrata's Kidd Creek Metallurgical site and Kidd Creek Mine site, for the annual competition that allows contestants to hone their skills in basic first aid.

"These first aid skills are used anywhere," said competition chief judge Blake Roy.

"It's good to keep up with practice."

Along with a written test, teams were faced with a scenario where two cyclists are injured during a charity race. The teams of two would provide any first aid needed until paramedics arrived, including scene survey, treating the wounds and documenting.

"You need to hone first aid skills," said Roy. "If you don't use it you're going to lose it."

"First aid is used anywhere, so we try and make it as realistic as possible."

The competition is strictly focused on basic first aid, unlike the competition earlier this year that dealt with all of mine rescue.

But most team members are also a part of their company's mine rescue team.

Terry Willett is both a Liberty Mines mine rescue team member and a volunteer firefighter, and remembers times both on the job and at home where his training has come in handy.

"These competitions make us more confident in general," Willett said. "It's good practice."

Willett said walking into the scenario set up for them during Friday's event was much like walking into a real situation because they never know what they're going to have to deal with.

"It comes in handy to know signs and symptoms," Willett said. "When it comes to mine rescue you don't have time to think about things, you have to get in and get out quick."

At the end of the day the overall winners of the competition was the Kidd Creek Met Site red team with Liberty Mines' red team as runners up. The individual award was presented to Dave Payne of Goldcorp, while Dan White of Liberty Mines received the Cameron McKinnon Award for Most Valuable First Aider. The Don and Joan Cook Proficiency Award (or the rookie award) was presented to Berni Fowler of Liberty Mines.

Article ID# 1224049

New Message
Please login to post a reply