Free

Hey, RC2!!   Welcome to our newest Treasurer ranked member!!   Congratulations.

OK, a few words on your last post:

RC2:" i watched a tv show on what Europe is trying to do to meet carbon standards sounded like they were not thrilled about using lithium batteries to meet the peak demands on the grid and the only reason they are is the eu is forcing them to meet the carbon standards"

As for the future of ESUs and Energy Storage, I don't think that Lithium Ion Batteries ( regardless of the particular type of Li-Ion Battery ) will be one whereby Li-Ion is the preeminent actor in that Drama.  I also don't believe it will be relegated to being just a bit part player with a non speaking role.  Lots has been written about the future of Energy Storage (ES) and much of it has to deal with the future of "Flow Batteries" of different chemical compositions, sulfur flow batteries being one that has received a lot of the attention and justifiably so.  Hydroelectic dams are, by definition, large energy storage units (ESU) and we have plenty of those already.  There are so many other examples out there and just to name one that has been proposed that seems to be particularly ingenius and practical:  Someone is suggesting that we use railroad tracks and open freight cars in a system where there is a high point destination for railroad cars that have been filled with large boulders at a low point and electic locomotives to pull those cars up a steep grade to a holding facility where they stay as potential energy that is released and transformed into mechanical and then to electrical energy as the cars are released in response to an increase in the demand for electricity at the load side ( village, town, city, metroplex ) served by this particular ES system.  The generation of energy to operate the cranes to load the railroad cars and to power the locomotives to transport them uphill could come from any alternative electricity generation source, again depending on which particular type of electricity generation would be most practical and efficient for local conditions.  Once those boulder laden cars are at the top then they just represent energy in the bank ready to draw from as the need arises.  I always liked the simplicity of this system, but there are almost countless examples of others in the field fo ES that would and will work and that can be adapted to the needs of small, medium, large and super large population centers.  Another one I have read about plans on using existing salt caves in what, if I remember correctly, involves storing heated water whereby that heat can be used to later generate electrticity... and the list goes on and on.  Necessity is the Mother of Invention... again.... and again.  After all, it is the history of human engineering and scientific development through the centuries. 

I don't believe Li-Ion Batteries will reign supreme in the field of ES, but on the other hand, there will be a place for Li-Ion in the pantheon of ES.  Some places will be more suitable for the Li-Ion approach to their problems than others, especially until these other engineering marvels become common place.  JMO   Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply