Free

Most Efficient Solar Cells

The most efficient solar panels on the market generally use either N-type (IBC) monocrystalline silicon cells or the another highly efficient N-type variation, heterojunction (HJT) cells. Most other manufacturers currently use the more common P-type mono-PERC cells; however, several large volume manufacturers, including JinkoSolar, Longi Solar and Trina, are now starting to shift to the more efficient N-type cells.

Efficiency of different solar PV cell types

• Polycrystalline - 15 to 18%

• Monocrystalline - 16.5 to 19%

• Polycrystalline PERC - 17 to 19.5%

• Monocrystalline PERC - 17.5 to 20%

• Monocrystalline N-type - 19 to 20.5%

• Monocrystalline N-type HJT - 19 to 21.7%

• Monocrystalline N-type IBC - 20 to 22.6%

As for the efficiency factor of solar panels, the link below is to an article that discusses the wide range of solar panel efficiency avaailable in 2020 in great detail:

https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/blog/most-efficient-solar-panels

Another article that goes into the efficiency factor as related to the homeowner: 

https://ecotality.com/most-efficient-solar-panels/ 

Actually, in the laboratory efficiency rates in excess of 40% have been achieved, but of course that level of efficiency has not been turned into a commercially available product...  as of yet!

https://news.energysage.com/solar-panel-efficiency-cost-over-time/#:~:text=Solar%20panel%20efficiency%20over%20time%20The%20very%20first,solar%20panel%2C%20which%20was%20about%20six%20percent%20efficient.

It does suggest that over time we will see commercially available solar panels to the consumer that exceed the present limitation of about 23%.  Necessity is again, the Mother of Invention.

As for the 4 hour limitation to direct "overhead" light exposure, that depends on several variables and not the least, of course, is latitude.  This situation can be ameliorated by more advanced systems that involve solar tracking whereby the angle of exposure is made relatively stable by changing the angle of the solar panel during the day in order to track the sun's location.  Of course, that option involves an increase in cost.  There are, currently, several PV cell options that provide an efficiency greater than 20% and those with that higher efficiency will also come with a higher initial cost, but because they generate more energy production the time to pay back of these PV panels is less than it might be for a less efficient panel.

I am not using an Elon Musk style figure of 100% conversion to solar energy by 2030.  The original instigation for my thoughts about alternative energy was that it was brought up on this forum that the present strain on the existing Power Grids was already such that additional conversion to EVs would possibly strain it beyond its capability, or at least that is how I interpreted the statement.

I am suggesting that the incorporation of more local alternative energy generation combined with local microgrids and neighborhood grids is capable of relieving some of that strain on the larger regional power grids.  As for suggesting that other forms of alternative power generation are minimal in comparison to the one single method of solar PV generation I would answer that this depends entirely on the resources available at a particular geographical location.  As such, overgeneralization and ascribing solar as the only method universally available is, in my opinion, a specious argument. 

Turning now to the subject of Microgrids, I am providing just one short article linked below that discusses the advantages of microgrids and how they can be combined with standard and alternative versions of electricity energy generation.  The subject is far more involved and far more interesting than contained in this one article, but it is a start.

https://www.hometownconnections.com/news/microgrids-101-reliable-power-source-for-customers-communities/

Pavel, you did not make any comments on the use and future use of High Temperature Cables as related to converting high voltage power lines currently in use to much more efficient and much greater capacity power transmission lines.  If we are focusing on the acknowledged strain on the grid, whether that grid is located in the U.S. or any other country in the world, the subject of High Temperature transmission lines is one that is important to investigate in regard to its solution capability for lessening the strain.   The physics of near absolute Kelvin effect on electron travel in a conductor will not change and it is a situation ripe for taking advantage of the laws of Physics.  Companies like American Superconductor and others will continue to fine tune the technology in order to some day make High Temperature Transmission the norm of the industry.  JMO, of course.  Okiedo

Some locations on the coast are very adaptable to wave generation, some high wind locations are extremely adaptable to wind generation.  There are still some locations where hydroelectric generation might be the best way to go and I live in a state where there is a geothermal plant generating electricity about 25 miles from my home, so I know these locations exist.

New Message
Please login to post a reply