Free
Message: Suggestion.. something I hope every member will ponder

One of the advantages of Agoracom over other message boards is the availability of Private Messages between individual members.  Think of the PM system as sort of a "Pressure Valve" that the other message boards don't have and that we, here on Agoracom, are fortunate to possess.

I think that the PM system may be somewhat underutilized in its potential on this Hub.  Why do I feel that way?

Anytime you have 2 or more people together for any reason, there will be conflict and there will be a need to "work things out" if the 2, 3, 4 or 40 people in that "room" are to continue in an effective and amicable way in order to carry forward a common purpose.

My suggestion is to relieve the pressure that might otherwise come about "out in the open" here on the Discussion Forum by taking advantage of the direct communication provided by Agoracom and to take any disagreements that look like they might escalate beyond the bounds of a tenuous decorum level over to the PM communication channel.  Why not take any beef you have that is escalating over to a direct one on one communication with the person when you see your views are not only in conflict, but that the conflict is rising to the point of possibly being at odds with the 6 Rules?

I think that the PM communication channel gives us an excellent way to "hash out" things directly when they rise to a point that interferes with the amicable exchange of information and viewpoints on the Discussion Forum.  In my opinion these situations could be hammered out much better by using the PM channel.

OK, to be clear.... or more correctly, to attempt to be "clear".. that doesn't mean I am asking that we don't have opposing views here on the Discussion Forum.  Not in the least.  I welcome the presentation of opposing viewpoints that are intelligently presented with good arguments supportive of those opposing positions.  How neat is that!  I am only saying that it might be better for the Hub if one of the members, not necessarily me ( I am not crazy about being the "bad guy" all the time ) might suggest on the Discussion Forum once in a while, when appropriate and things start getting a little heated, to "Please take it over to the PM channel of communication".

Right now, my suggestion is just a proposal.  I am most interested in what the rest of you think about this.  The idea for proposing this suggestion to the membership here actually originated with another member, one who was concerned about how we might use the advantage of the PM in order to insure the preservation of a more civil exchange here on the Discussion Forum.  I just happen to think that the member who suggested it was "On Target", but I may be in the minority on this view.  Hope the rest of you will all chime in with your opinion.   Thanks for "listening".    Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply