Free

Pavel, while I tend to agree with most of your points in the short term, I think that having EV's (either batteries or fuel cells) provides a path going forward to be able to use cleaner energy.   While most of the energy currently being produced is not clean or renewable, having EV's will allow those clean energy sources to be used when they come online.... whatever they may be... wind, solar, fusion, etc.  Maybe in the future we can come up with some personal transportation alternatives that can solve the tire and dust problems. :)

You are correct that if we do nothing, increased demand on our grid infrustructure is going to lead to serious problems.  But there are ways around this... notably more distributed power generation and storage.   Surely there are many minds far smarter than my own already thinking about how to overcome this issue.   I will consider it a homework assignment of mine to go find specifics.

Of course there is going to be a cost in moving towards electrification.   I don't think it's infinite or insurmountable.  There has to be some role of government to lead such big changes.  Left on their own, people will continue to do what's easiest and cheapest and most profitable, even if that eventually means self-destruction.  We don't always move in the right direction... take ethanol as an example.  That was a bust, but it wasn't the end of the world.  Just because that didn't work out doesn't mean we shouldn't stop trying to think long term.   Going electric will have it's own set of challenges, but I don't see any fundamental reasons why it can't be a good solution in the long term.

As a taxpayer, I will continue to be supportive of government programs that support clean energy and electrification, because I think it's the right and necessary thing to do, even if some things don't work out along the way.  That said... as a shareholder of any specific company, I will admit that I'm also an opportunist.  I wouldn't stay with a sinking ship just because I believe in the goals of a company or how they might be supportive of larger, more noble goals.   But like you said, I do feel like we are currently on the right boat.

New Message
Please login to post a reply