Free

In what I hope is a respectful tone, I am going to give an alternative opinion regarding the statement by trades82:  "Agreed. I greatly dislike the ideas of shorting a stock. It's betting against failure, and I think that's just a bad way to live. "

I have no objection whatsoever to shorting a stock or in purchasing Puts against a stock.  That act alone is not the problem.  It is the use of borrowed money, "on margin", to do so that is the problem along with massive purchase of short positions or Puts by Hedge Funds in order to directly influence the Share Price of that underlying stock that is the problem.  I know that to many, that will seem like I am splitting hairs.  Maybe I am, but to me there is a difference in the event when a retail investor uses his or her own money on the line to bet against a company because of their analysis that the company is on the banans peel vs the willful intent of a large Hedge Fund to affect an overall movement of the Stock Price of that company, to manipulate blatantly the Share Price.

I don't ask anyone to agree with me, but that is my opinion.  One of the great things about Agoracom is that we can still express divergent opinions here in an atmosphere of respect for the right to differ and without animosity to the other person who holds an opinion other than their own.  

I also am of the opinion that the bath that the Hedge Funds took recently, only some of the Hedge Funds, was almost a joyful event to watch in regards to those who did so on money that they did not own.  Buying on the margin is a huge risk and can not be understated in any way.  They got caught in a market situation created by retail investors working together.  I use one rule personally for Margin Investing:   Don't do it!

I have nothing but respect, for instance, in regard to trades82, even though he and I view the aspect of Shorting and Puts differently.   Best wishes to all LAC investors.

New Message
Please login to post a reply