Free

I just watched the whole interview as well. I would describe it more as rambling as opposed to wide-ranging, but he did confirm in a very authoritative manner themes that we're all familiar with and will support our investment rationale for LAC.

The first is the Balkanization of the world's supply chain(s), as what had been a very well integrated global supply chain using just in time (JIT) delivery is increasingly being replaced with regional, vertically integrated supply chains where resources are being secured by the end user as opposed to being openly and fairly traded in open markets. He suggests that China is about 20 years ahead, followed by Europe and the US is just starting to understand what's going on. He says that this Balkanization is inflationary, as it will result in higher prices as everyone tries to secure their supply at any cost, and it puts miners in the driver's seat.

The second is that he confirms the inevitable supply shortage of certain battery metals such as copper, nickel, cobalt and lithium, although he seems more bullish (or concerned) with copper, nickel and cobalt than with lithium. 

The third is that he suggests that starting now and increasingly going forward companies (battery and EV producers in this case) will be judged on an ESG basis, where they will be held accountable by consumers as to how ESG friendly their product is, not just to operated but to produce. In other words, EV producers will increasingly be looking for, and be willing to pay a premium for, green miners at the beginning of their supply chain. This will no doubt be great for LAC in Thacker Pass providing their customers are putting the lithium in batteries in the US (CATL in Detroit or Tesla in Sparks, Nevada). The reduced travel distance alone is important, notwithstanding the relatively green process LAC will use at their mine. 

Finally, he does speculate that we’ll continue to see companies streaming their supply chain, so direct investments by the end producer into mines so as to ensure they are the customer for the product. This makes even more sense with lithium than other metals because of the exact standards to which the product has to be made. 

These were my main takeaways from the interview. Anyone else that watched should surely correct me where I’m wrong or add where I’ve missed something, but perhaps this summary can save many of you a very long, convoluted interview with a very smart man who likes to hear himself talk. 

Thanks for posting the interview JDubski.

New Message
Please login to post a reply