Free
Message: People of Red Mountain Statement of Opposition to Thacker Pass Mine

A great post, Coeruleus.  I appreciate your research.  I think you and I are on the same beam when it comes to a solution to scratching the native american itch re: Thacker Pass.  No doubt that at least part of their perception must be:  What can the mine at Thacker Pass do for me?  That would be in addition to the question: What can the mine at Thacker Pass do TO me and my fellow tribal members?  Hopefully, the response of the "Good Neighbor" will address both of those questions.  I don't doubt that the tribe isn't unanimous in its viewpoint of the mine.  Why should they be any different than any other group of human beings on an important issue that could have both positive and negative repercussions for the group?  

If the potential employment situation for tribal members at Thacker Pass is "substantial" as perceived by tribal members then it is possible that the scales of perception might well tip toward a positive direction if, at the same time, the questions about possible contamination of groundwater and the potential for toxic residues is successfully addressed for a favorable review by whatever hydrology and chemical toxin experts might be engaged by the tribe, if indeed they do engage outside independent assessment of these factors.  Speculation on the safety measures outlined by LAC in its PFS can lead to any number of unsubstantiated conclusions by those not technically equipped to make an assessment, so the presence of a 3d party independent and technically qualified expert on these issues might provide the needed clarity for tribal leaders that might possibly be missing now.  As for the cultural issues, that is a situation where an independent 3d party would probably just make things worse so that "understanding" of those issues might be the best way for LAC to proceed and that would necessitate meaningful dialogue and a willingness for negotiation, something that LAC reportedly has rendered at the Cauchari-Olaroz minining location.

Again, thanks for your input and your research, Coeruleus.  My hope is that LAC responds aggressively to instrument its self described "Good Neighbor" policy and thus steal the wind right out of the sail of DGR and Mr. Wilbert by communicating and responding to the local concerns, thus differentiating LAC and Nevada Lithium from any past mining companies that the tribe has come in contact with and distinguishing LAC and Nevada Lithium by that positive difference.

Your point about the tribal elder being upset by a gold mine in proximity no longer paying for his power and how doing so by LAC might serve to assuage his concerns is taken as a serious proposal.  Keep in mind that one of the by products of the proposed Thacker Pass Project is mentioned in the PFS as an excess production of electricity and since Fort McDemitt is less than 30 miles away then perhaps some of that "excess" electricity could be channeled for use by the tribal members as part of a plan to be that "Good Neighbor" that Alexi Zawadzki forecasts LAC and Nevada Lithium will be.  

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply