Free

Here he is again, Reuters Ernest Scheyder:

Exclusive: Lithium Americas delays Nevada mine work after environmentalist lawsuit (msn.com)

Much in that article LAC investors already know about, but the comments about Judge Du were something I don't recall seeing before:

"Chief Judge Miranda Du of the federal court in Reno, who is overseeing the case, has in the past ruled in favor of preserving sage grouse habitats.

If Du grants the injunction, Lithium Americas would not be able to develop the site while she considers the broader question of whether the Trump administration erred in approving the mine. A ruling on that is expected later this year or in 2022."

I am glad that Scheyder did put in a note about the response from LAC:

"In a statement, Lithium Americas said it is "confident the BLM's extensive and approved environmental impact statement will withstand judicial scrutiny."'

The last part of the article regarding Glenn Miller was also enlightening:

Lithium Americas has an unlikely ally in Glenn Miller, who founded the environmental group Great Basin Resource Watch, which is one of the conservationist groups suing to block the mine.

Miller said he disagrees with the group's opposition to the project and resigned from its board earlier this week.

"Everyone is deeply concerned about climate change. It's a question about values, and I go with the need for lithium," said Miller, a retired professor at the University of Nevada. "This is one of the least-impactive mine plans I've ever seen."

________________________________________________________________________________

Judge Du is indeed and interesting individual and the Wikipedia piece on her does include a section on her environmental lawsuit rulings.

Miranda Du - Wikipedia

In previous cases her decisions cited the phrase:

"the plaintiffs had failed to demonstrate imminent, irreparable harm"

So, possibly in the current dispute of environmentalists ( Plaintiffs ) against LAC and Nevada Lithium the case may turn around whether or not the plaintiffs can demonstrate that Nevada Lithium and LAC have been proven to demonstrate imminent, irreparable harm.  I suspect that will be the crux of the litigation.

Regarding Glenn Miller, the organization he recently split with over Thacker Pass is known as the Great Basin Resource Watch. 

The organizations' home page is linked below for reference since they are one of the plaintiffs in the current legal battle with LAC:

Great Basin Resource Watch | Working with communities to protect air, land and water (gbrw.org)

Miller is still mentioned on the list of Board Members for Great Basin Institute.  I am not sure what the link is, if any between GBRW and GBI.

Board of Directors - The Great Basin Institute

I found the piece in the link below helpful to explain why some of his views on Nevada mining might not be supportive of the current attempt to have an injunction against Nevada Lithium and LAC.  He has been supportive in some measure in the past of Nevada mining environmental efforts as stated in this article:

Foundation professor spends career on eclectic, seemingly random collection of research | University of Nevada, Reno (unr.edu)

A little bit of biographical info on Glenn Miller respective to his professional life at the University of Nevada, Reno:

Glenn Miller | Dept. of Natural Resources & Environmental Science | University of Nevada, Reno (unr.edu)

New Message
Please login to post a reply