Free

Here's the link to the 250 page report that was just recently released. Guess what? It recommends the US should develop its own lithium supply. Here's a snip from the Executive Summary of the high capacity batteries section. 

"This report highlights critical materials for high-capacity lithium-ion batteries – particularly Class I nickel, lithium, and cobalt – as primary upstream supply chain vulnerabilities. For raw material production, the first supply chain step, where demand can’t be met through alternative means and secondary sources (e.g., increasing recycling, potentially sourcing from mine waste, identify mineral substitutes, etc.), the public and private sector should consider increased domestic production when strong labor standards and important environmental and cultural protections are applied to support economically viable domestic extraction. New responsible domestic extraction should focus on critical materials where the U.S. has known reserves significant enough to establish an economic base supply. For example, lithium could be a potential priority for increased domestic extraction given the United States holds 3.6 percent of the known global reserves, which could satisfy 2020 global lithium demand for more than 8 years. New raw mineral mining must be held to modern environmental standards, require best-practice labor conditions, and conduct rigorous community consultation, including with Tribal nations through government-to-government collaboration, while recognizing the economic costs of waste treatment and processing."

And, one of the specific recommendations that seem to recognize the challenges currently being faced by LAC:

"Modernize the U.S. laws and regulations governing mining on public lands, where many lithium resources in Nevada and California are located, in order to provide assurance to tribes and local residents that important environmental and cultural resources will be protected during and after mining operations."

I'm sure others will be able to extract lots of good insights from the various sections.

Happy reading!

100 day report

New Message
Please login to post a reply