Free
Jul 20, 2021 03:09PM
Jul 20, 2021 03:17PM
Jul 20, 2021 03:30PM

From the 20 July 2021 ( today ) article in Mining.com comes the following exerpts:

“We finally have a project to debut and really talk about,” said Keith Phillips, Piedmont’s chief executive officer.

“Maybe it would have been better had (commissioners) been in the loop constantly. We didn’t really have the time or resources to do it and we didn’t even know what to tell them, until now.”

The deteriorating relationship between Piedmont and county leaders reflects broader tension in the United States as resistance to living near a mine clashes with the potential of EVs to mitigate climate change.

In September 2018, Piedmont told investors it expected to obtain permits by the end of 2019. In August 2019, executives said they would apply for permits and rezoning “in the coming months.”

Piedmont said both times it was “not aware” of any reason why the county would not approve zoning changes, even though it had yet to present any information to commissioners. In December, Piedmont said it expected to receive local zoning approval before the end of June.

The company said the delays were due in part to weak lithium prices in recent years.

Piedmont had been set to meet with commissioners in March, but canceled with three days’ notice, further straining the relationship. Piedmont said it canceled that meeting in order to further refine its plans.

The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality, which issues mining permits, said it expects an application “in the near future.”

State officials added their review process could stretch for more than a year as they solicit comments from at least six other state and federal agencies.

“I’m not even going to accept an application from Piedmont for rezoning until they have their state permit in hand,” said Brian Sciba, director of Gaston County’s planning and zoning office.

While some landowners are prepared to sell if the offer is enticing enough, others say Piedmont has bullied them.

“They told me that if I don’t sell, they’ll just mine around my property,” said Emilie Nelson, whose 14 acres Piedmont has tried to buy since 2017.

Piedmont’s arrangement with Tesla has done little to impress locals. More than 1,500 have signed a petition asking officials to block the mine.

“There’s no doubt the mine would benefit our country and the green energy industry,” said Tracy Philbeck, a commissioner. “But it would have a negative impact on our community.”

In push to supply Tesla, Piedmont Lithium irks North Carolina neighbors - MINING.COM

New Message
Please login to post a reply