Free

„…Does he really believe that replacing fossil fuel burning vehicles and power plants is a "luxury good"…“

I know, it is just a tiny detail of the overall excellent EV execution strategy, but for what exactly do you plan replace the fossil burning power stations?

However, I do agree, that LAC is taking an exceptional care of the environment. If one can say that about a mining company. Of course that includes the fact, that unless blocked by the opposition, this area is going to completely taken out 100 meters deep and miles wide. But I have seen a brown coal mine during its production time and how the place looks like after the proper recultivation and based on that and with a bit of luck in about 70 years down the road, the area may look nature again. Probably not exactly the same as it looks like now, but at that time there will be nobody able to compare to compare it.

And should they really find any bones there during the research, then IMHO it should be stored in a museum/warehouse and eventually returned back once LAC is done in that area if required. I live in the  area, where Napoleon demolished the Austrian and Russian army (Austerlitz, 2nd December, 1805). No matter what is written in historical books, it was an unprecedented massacre (60 thousand soldier killed in few days)  of much greater scale than The Little Big Horn or anything which may have happened in Thacker Pass. The battlefields were cleaned up in a bit of hurry so many bodies were buried outside of the official place. And even after all these years, bones of soldiers of all 3 armies are still found. Despite that, nobody is asking  not to touch the area because of that. When found, human remains are carefully removed, if possible identified and subsequently moved to the respective mass grave. End of story.

And this is exactly, what IMHO tribes should ask for. Anything more is an unreasonable “above-standard”. Ghosts will be unfortunately left behind, as there is no proven process to relocate ghosts. LAC may organize some annual ceremonies (I can already see a Reuters headline: “Lithium Americas CEO Jonathan Evans has again met the Thacker Pass ghosts….”) to keep them on friendly terms and few decades later, till the valley is fully returned back to them. After all, what is 50 years in a lifetime of a ghost?

New Message
Please login to post a reply