Free
Message: New Seeking Alpha article on LAC today, 16 March 2022

"The geopolitical risks of lithium mining are becoming clearer and clearer by the day. For a while now, there have been strong concerns in the West over China's overwhelming control of existing lithium production. Recently, Chile has come to the forefront of lithium investors' minds at the country's Constitutional Convention's environmental committee voted to move a proposal that would nationalize large lithium mines. Short of nationalization, Chile may pass a bill to hike mining royalties, which would cut into the profitability of projects in one of the world's largest lithium producers. Both moves are significant risks for Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile (SQM) and Albemarle (ALB) who have projects in the country.

However, these concerns benefit Lithium Americas as the company has three primary projects, none of which are exposed to these risks. Thacker Pass is entirely US-based and the company's other projects in Argentina do not appear to be under threat of nationalization."

Not a trivial concern by any means, "The geopolitical risks of lithium mining".

I believe Jon Evans has kept focus on that risk and that is the reason for his proposed split into two separate entities that would provide a wall between LAC's South American operations and the proposed Thacker Pass mine in the U.S.  I think we are on the right track, despite the complexities LAC would face in diviying up the shares of present LAC investors.  I am not opposed to the prospect of the proposed split, JMO. 

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply