Free
Message: Re: Same song, second verse: "Navigating mining challenges on the road to America’s EV future"

HC, some oldies, but hopefully "goodies" from the past about LAC's Nevada Lithium and ESG issues:

Lithium and the environment? Nevada can have both | Pat Hickey (rgj.com)

Alexi Zawadzki, CEO of Lithium Nevada Corporation and President of North American Operations for Lithium Americas, said this back in September of last year:

"Respecting the interests of Native American tribes is extremely important to us, which is why we have engaged with the Fort McDermitt Tribe since 2017. We have helped facilitate presentations to the council, job screenings of tribal members, workforce development training at Fort McDermitt, a trip for tribal representatives to the Navajo Nation coal mine in New Mexico to meet Thacker Pass’s mine operator, and the donation of a passenger van for the tribe’s Head Start program to transport members to Winnemucca for training opportunities."

Being good neighbors and good partners at Thacker Pass | Alexi Zawadzki (rgj.com)

In that same article Zawadzki also said:

"And, we’re just getting started. We are committed to working alongside anyone in the community.  

This partnership also stands to provide meaningful economic benefits. More than 40 members of the Fort McDermitt tribe have expressed interest in high-wage jobs that Thacker Pass will bring. We’re continuing to support job training through the BuildNV program run by Great Basin College, and we’re looking to employ as many locals as we can to fill the 300 full-time roles the mine will eventually support."

The down and dirty details of site mitigation for the proposed Thacker Pass lithium mine in regards to environmental issues were reviewed ad nauseum in the "Fact Sheet" linked below:

FACT SHEET (nv.gov)

A little dated interview by Joe Lowry of Alexi Zawadzki back on 28 May 2021, episode 105 of Lowry's Global Lithium Podcast, reveals a lot of Zawadzki's view including "LAC's commitment to sustainable project development, innovative mining and reclamation techniques, planned use of renewable energy and desire to minimize the impact to the environment":

The Global Lithium Podcast - Episode 105: Alexi Zawadzki (google.com)

I couldn't find any recent statements about Thacker Pass from Zawadzki, but I did go back and wash and rinse an opinion piece by Glenn Miller, a University of Nevada, Reno professor emeritus and environmental chemist that was published in the Reno Gazette Journal back on 22 February 2022.  

Miller proclaims:

"Of course, even for lithium we should not accept a mine that has a very negative footprint and will cause unacceptable damage. For the Thacker Pass mine, for example, the impacts will be substantially less than effectively all gold mines of its size. In fact, as a critic of the mining industry for 40 years, this mine is the most benign mine I have examined."

Miller is the expert on ESG, or more correctly the "E" in ESG, for mines of all types here in Nevada.

Boldface added by me for emphasis.

Opinion: Thacker Pass lithium mine important for Nevada, US and the world | Miller (rgj.com)

I hope these snipets are of some value.  I am a little disappointed that I could not find any updated statements by Alexi Zawadzki, although in the long run my personal opinion is that Professor Miller's evaluation will probably carry more weight when we look back at this issue a year or two down the line.  Miller didn't win any friends and probably lost quite a few, even made a few enemies, when he told the radical environmentalists that the proposed Thacker Pass mine was the most benign mine that he had examined in his 40 years of being a critic of the mining industry here in Nevada.  I am sure that infuriated all associated with the Anti-Thacker Pass Mine movement, big time!

Perhaps another member here on this Hub has something more current from Zawadzki to share.  Overall, though, the above articles should provide some basis for the opinion that LAC is committed to being a far better ESG proponent than the 4.0 on a scale of 1.0 to 5.0 rating given to it by Dun and Bradstreet:

Lithium Nevada Corp. Company Profile | Reno, NV | Competitors, Financials & Contacts - Dun & Bradstreet (dnb.com)

New Message
Please login to post a reply