Free

One of the claims made by both the Native Americans in opposition to the Thacker Pass Project and by their attorneys is that Thacker Pass was actually a site of an 1865 massacre of Indians by the U.S. Cavalry.  The counterclaim is that no such massacre occurred specific to the geographic location of Thacker Pass, Nevada.

One version of the counterclaim is that the massacre occurred in another location entirely and not physically in Thacker Pass.

The article linked below represents the viewpoint of the Native American challengers and their attorneys:

https://indiancountrytoday.com/news/tribes-new-evidence-proves-massacre-was-at-mine-site

"The accounts were in an autobiography first published in 1929 by a well-known American labor organizer, Bill Haywood. One was from a cavalry volunteer who participated in the slaughter and the other by a tribal member who survived it."

Reviewing this claim of "new evidence" of a massacre in September of 1865 at Thacker Pass it needs to be added that in November of last year, 2021, Judge Du rendered her opinion as to whether or not there was proof of the claimed massacre at the claimed location:

"However, Judge Du argued the newly presented evidence “does not definitely establish that a massacre occurred” within the proposed project site, calling the evidence “too speculative” to grant a halt on planned archaeological digs in Thacker Pass.

“While the Court agrees with RSIC and the Burns Paiute Tribe that this additional evidence further highlights the shameful history of the treatment of Native Americans by federal and state governments, it does not persuade the Court that it should reconsider,” wrote Judge Du in her decision. "

See the article:  https://www.nevadacurrent.com/2021/11/16/judge-says-no-evidence-of-massacre-at-proposed-mine-site-tribes-say-otherwise/

Ok, so I have rehashed this issue of whether or not there was a massacre during the Snake War (1864-1868) at the specified time and specified place because Haywood's account will remain a rallying cry for the opposition to the Thacker Pass Project for the future, regardless of how Judge Du rules on the question of BLM and the ROD about Thacker Pass.  It is something that we, as LAC stock owners, at minimum need to be aware of and to keep in mind before anyone minimizes the perception held by those Native Americans who have a different viewpoint. 

Notice I did not mention Will Falk and Max Wilbert or their veiws as something to keep under consideration.  I believe fully that Falk and Wilbert have reasons for their "Protect Thacker Pass" high visibility attempts to gain ink in any printed or electronic media and on TV solely for purposes that have nothing to do with the concerns of the affected Native Americans.  They literally march to the music of a different drum and a very self serving one at that.  One has to know what their personal goals are, what they have said in print and on camera and who they are associated with in order to understand the complexity of their alignment on this issue and the deception and misdirection employed by both of them in that process.  It takes some digging, but they don't make any effective efforts in hiding their true purpose.  Thacker Pass means nothing to them since their objectives go way beyond "Protect Thacker Pass".  

And that's my opinion, ad nauseum.

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply