Free

There's been lots of speculation, if not the expectation, that it's only a matter of time before big oil steps in and starts investing heavily in lithium production. In June Imperial Oil, a Canadian company owned 70% by Exxon, announced a strategic relationship with E3 Lithium in Alberta and one can just imagine how this will expand in the future.

This article discusses BP's charging station unit teaming with Hertz to expand the charging network available to Hertz's future EV fleet. Big oil is nibbling at the fringes but as far as I know hasn't taken a big bite. Has anyone heard of a large investment yet?

I think the most relevant aspect of this question to LAC is what is the future lithium industry going to look like? How many players and who owns them? We have seen shockingly little M&A action in the industry, but surely this can't continue. What has happened is larger lithium producers, primarily Chinese, have been buying up projects around the world. I love the fact that LAC is investing in some of the best lithium projects in Argentina and is just starting in Canada with GT1. It remains to be seen if LAC will be able to stand independent long enough to become the lithium superpower we believe it can be. 

Hertz is teaming up with oil giant BP

New Message
Please login to post a reply