Free
Message: King's River pryg...... snails. They aren't just for breakfast anymore.

Don't you find it interesting that only as far back as 2014 there were only 139 recognized species of Pyrgulopsis, the largest genus of freshwater gastropods in the North America.

No, you don't find that "interesting"?

Neither did I, until I found out that  Pyrgulopsis imperialis, also known as King's River Pryg

was not anywhere to be found on that list of recognized species within that genus as of 2014.

So, now it is "interesting".  A species of snail that wasn't even recognized by existing scientific nomenclature in 2014 is now touted to be found ONLY in 6 locations in Thacker Pass, humboldt County, Nevada.

Truly, AMAZING!  One has to wonder if that little critter would have ever been added to the recognized list of the Prygulopsis genus of snail had not Lithium Americas fortuitously decided to mine lithium in that location, eh?  No doubt the little critter would be happily leading its life of noble anonymity had it not been for the intervention of such selfless soldiers of the environment as the Western Watersheds Project, especially the lawyers on the payroll at WWP, eh?

Source:  Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Pyrgulopsis imperialis

Don't take my word for it, do your own search.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/229636-Pyrgulopsis-imperialis

While you are searching, don't neglect to check out the iNaturalist link above because it has a reference to 4 observations of this species. If you take a look at the site where "coreyjlange" documented a siting of Pyrgulopsis imperialis on 8 September 2021, you will notice that one location for his observations about Pyrgulopsis imperialis is just off of Nevada 293 and is in an area that looks very close to Thacker Creek Reservoir.  However, he also shows an observation at a point where Nevada 293 has turned North of where it exists the area of Thacker Pass and approximately the Thacker Creek Reservoir.  If you follow 293 North to where he indicates at least one siting of Pyrgulopsis imperialis you can clearly see that this siting is not adjacent to Thacker Pass and appears to be clearly outside of Thacker Pass.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/95225258

OK, so maybe this "coreyjlange" is not an experienced observer, eh?MAP!!  If that was the case then why has "coreyjlange" reported 26,225 observations in total, not of this one species but observations of multiple flora/fauna?  I would wager that anyone dedicated to making such observations with over 26,000 previous observations has to be considered a dedicated observer.

So, who is:  Corey J. Lange?  iNaturalist has his self description:

"I am the Wildlife Biologist for the Pahrump and Red Rock/Sloan BLM Field Offices, in Las Vegas, Nevada. I received my B.S. in Animal Ecology from Iowa State University and my M.S. degree in Range and Wildlife Management at Texas AM University - Kingsville. Most of my career has been spent working on birds, however, I've lately been working on some really cool projects on beetles, snails, scorpions, and amphipods. I am extremely interested in biodiversity and spend a lot of time looking for rare and endemic species. My wife and I also spend a lot of time hiking and camping with our two miniature dachshunds."

Hardly an amateur, eh?

Corey actually has 4 observations of Pyrgulopsis-imperialis and at least one of them is outside of the Thacker Pass area if my interpretation of the map that is adjacent to his observation as published on the iNaturalist page is correct.  Be sure you look at all 4 observations listed by Corey J. Lange, because at least one of them, if not 2 or even 3, could be interpreted to be just outside of Thacker Pass at or adjacent to Thacker Creek Reservoir.  It is the observation North of there that is of particular interest to me.

Please check out this information and see if your opinion of this one observation location coincides with my own interpretation.  Thanks!

Onward through the FOG!

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply