Free
Message: Home generators using Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries... another niche market for lithium

I have been interested in alternative power generation for home use for some time.  There are tons of brands and models on the market for solar arrays tied in with an ESU and an inverter.  I am going to link to just one and ONLY as an example, not a recommendation.  This particular one weighs in at 40 pounds and has an 1,800 watt output continuously and a peak output of over 3,000 watts.

Again, I am NOT recommending this one. The link below is a commercial link, but all of the competitors of this company have their own websites and some very fine products.  I am not currently in the process of buying from this one vendor and should I buy a unit in the future I would never do so without researching several of the competitors of this company.  I don't own one at present but I do have an interest in deciding on one for the future. 

Here in Northern Nevada we do, unfortunately, have intermittent power outages and my home Solar package is designed to shut down if the grid supply to the home is down.  This is a safety measure so that if someone from the power company is working on the lines that supply our neghborhood and our home they won't be subject to unexpected electrical surges generated from our solar system or someone else's home solar system.  Were we "Off Grid" then there wouldn't be a need for such a safety factor.  So, at present, if the line supply from the grid to our house is down then our power is also down, thus my interest in either an "Off Grid" approach or something supplemental, such as a separate solar package not connected to the grid and that can supply at least enough juice for critical items such as freezers and refrigerators in an extended emergency power outing. 

I am a licensed amateur radio operator, General Class, but to be honest... that is in name only. It is a hobby that I have done little to nothing with... so far, except collect some expensive equipment in anticipation of that "someday" when motivation exceeds stagnation and the backside rises from the chair and the eyes and hands start doing the necessary work required to turn a prospective hobby into a reality.  I have most of the equipment to set up an amateur radio station, but have not done so.... yet.  One more "project" on the back burner at this time.  Maybe soon?

That interest, however, in amateur radio also involves an interest in operating from remote sites and, of course, in that event I would require some dependable power supply to operate my 100 watt transceiver and other associated equipment.  Something other than lead acid batteries.

The example below would more than supply any needs I might have in the future for remotely operating an amateur radio station and, in addition, serve to power up critical home appliances should that need arise and without gas fumes or the continuous need to purchase fuel to fire up a gas generator.  Again, here in Northern Nevada we have an overabundance of sunshine so this alternative would be quite feasible here and with this units ESU capability it would store enough energy so that I would at least have electricity on any one day where sunshine is less than optimal.  As for going 2,3 or more days... maybe not, however we haven't had conditions where I have lived for the past 28 years where out grid service has been out more than one day at a time.

Long explanation... so let me get right to the example:

Patriot Power Solar Generator | 4Patriots

You will notice that this particular product is another adaptation of Lithium Iron Phosphate for the ESU component.  LiFeP is not the most energy dense or power dense choice one could find, but it is one of the safest and most practical types of batteries for this particular purpose.. at least for now.  A lot of amateur radio battery supply companies use Lithium Iron Phosphate in their products to amateur radio operators for many good reasons.  Someday one of the newer technologies in battery construction will replace it, sure as the horse was replaced by the Model T.  So before one of you starts talking about Vanadium Flow batteries or some other whiz bang be all to end all battery development, please understand that I am acutely aware that Lithium Iron Phosphate isn't chisled in stone for the future of batteries in this particular battery market niche.

From the marketing presentation it appears that the company is targeting the Doomsday Preppers and Survivor groups, but things have changed here on the West Coast of the U.S.  The recent situation in the past 2 or 3 years with an overabundance of forest fires, particularly in California, has elicited an intense interest among home owners on the West Coast in having emergency power supplies for their homes "just in case" their grid supply is compromised... and PG&E is definitely compromised since their legal issues have been critical to the survival of the company itself and much has been written about their responsibility for equipment failures that may or may not have contributed to many of the fires in California. 

Bottom Line:  Interest in Home Generators of all types, gasoline/propane and solar powered, is at an all time high here in this part of the country.  Many of those being sold will incorporate some sort of lithium ion battery and thus this is a niche market for lithium that is definitely increasing in magnitude. Just one of many!!

Okiedo

New Message
Please login to post a reply