Free

RC2, OK, I don't know a great deal about the generators, still learning, but from what I have read the 100 Watt rated solar panels are pretty common for small suplemental and emergency systems.  One reason may be for the portable systems you want to keep each unit composing the system down to a reasonable weight so that carrying the individual units, such as one solar panel, is not an encumberance on the owner in terrms of being oversize and bulky or in terms of an uncomfortable amount of weight to carry.

The "generators" themselves have an input rating in terms of how much they can accomodate and when that amount is exceeded at least some of the systems have a cut off mechanism that autmatically protects the generator storage battery against overcharge.  The other point is that you can run solar panels in series to increase the output from the panels to the "generator" when charging up the battery portion of the "generator".

If I remember correctly, running in series increases the voltage and running them in parallel increases the amperage.  I could definitely be wrong about that.  Anyway, many of the ads for different solar "generator" systems will tell you how many additional solar panels you can run at the same time to feed into the system.  Check out the Titan system, a much heavier system...not in the least portable if you are carrying it as a single unit ( more so if you detach the batteries individually from the controller and invertor upper portion of the device), and more of a backup system for your house.

As for the note you made about the increased draw of power from the battery portion of a "generator" I would just say that is the reason that manufacturers list a Peak Power rating in addition to the Continuous Power rating, in order to cover that start up time and also any other point in the use of the product where there is a surge on the power drain above and beyond the continuous rating.  

Introducing the New Titan solar generator - Bing video

Titan Solar Generator final - Bing video

Off Grid Cabin Powered Full Time with Titan Solar Generator - Bing video

Will Prowse is one of the best persons you will find on the internet to review the different solar systems.  I have only seen about a half dozen of his videos , but he is pretty good at explaining things to someone who doesn't know much about this interesting subject, that would be me.  I have been particularly interested in his videos about the Titan and about the AC200p Bluetti.  I would note that Prowse does say that the Bluetti does everything that is advertised... very impressive!  If you don't look at any of the videos except one, choose the last one in the 3 below... makes me want to buy a Bluetti!!

Titan Solar Generator - 3000w Inverter 2000w Max Solar Array Expandable Lithium Battery - Bing video

Titan Solar Generator: Max Inverter 3000W Load Retest! - Bing video

Bluetti AC200: 2000W Inverter, 700W 145VOC Solar Input, 1700Wh Lithium Battery! - Bing video

Solar Generator Updates for the Titan, AC200 and R600 - Bing video

After looking at the information provided by Will Prowse in particular, I am leaning more myself towards a future puchase of a Bluetti for the house and a Jackery if I ever get my amateur radio station up and running since I believe the Jackery would be ideal for portable amateur radio operations.  My radio transceiver is very portable and the the max continuous pull is only 100 Watts.  I do have a QRP, very low power, CW ( Morse Code ) transceiver kit that I haven't yet put together that would not need anything as big as the AC200P Bluetti to run.  That QRP only uses as much power as a night light.  The Bluetti AC200P would be overkill in that circumstance.

Right now, both units are nothing but dream purchases.  I was disappointed to discover that these companies want to be paid first before they will deliver the products that I want.  Lesson Learned:  No Free Lunch!!   

Let me know what you think of these 3 products, the Titan, the Bluetti and the Jackery.  You have experience with home "Generators" and I do not.  Nothing takes precedence over actual experience.

New Message
Please login to post a reply