Free
Message: My commentary on: "Thacker Pass Dispatches: Sustaining Profits, Not the Planet"

Re: Max Wilbert's "Thacker Pass Dispatches:  Sustaining Profits, Not the Planet".

I couldn't help but read this opinion piece by Mr. Wilbert and have it bring to mind at the very least two distinct historical events where "Progress" was either attacked itself in the first instance and denied in the second instance.  Both were sad events in themselves and in their consequences.  Since Lithium Americas has spent literally years in developing a native piece of land in Humboldt County, Nevada into a future lithium world class supply and has agonizingly put together a plan (PFS) to minimize the negative influences on the environment, the flora and the fauna therin and to present an economic opportunity for the development of local human resources as well, I felt compelled to take the time to present a counter position to the "Claim to Virtue" position that Mr. Wilbert paints LAC management and stockholders with in the most negative light. 

Just a few thoughts on that "Claim to Virtue" attack by Mr. Wilbert.  My own thoughts.  This guy is not going away.  This is how he makes his living, by suborning the motives of others by indicating that those motives have to be cloaked in some faux "Claim to Virtue".  My final analysis of Mr. Wilbert is that in searching for a "Claim to Virtue" in those he is attacking he essentially is only seeing his reflection, a place where that claim has a much truer ring.  Just my opinion.

Mr. Wilbert opines: 

"The great Chickasaw writer Linda Hogan said, “progress is a madness that is a sort of god to people. Decent people commit horrible crimes that are acceptable because of progress.”

And so, the “progress” of moving from fossil fuel cars to electric cars may lead Thacker Pass into oblivion—unless we stop this project.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Another person, perhaps with a great deal more notoriety than Mr. Wilbert, who extolled on the evils of progress was Mr. Ted Kaczynski.  He, like Mr. Wilbert, was also someone who wrote extensively about the evils of "Progress" and, in the case of Mr. Kaczynski, went on to write even more extensively about it in his 35,000 word Unibomber Manifesto ( Title:  Industrial Society and its Future" ). 

Of course, I am not suggesting that Mr. Wilbert has anything in common with Mr. Kaczynski other than railing against modern life and "Progress", but there is no doubt that Mr. Kaczynski also deluded himself with his own concept of a "Claim to Virtue".  

Mr. Wilbert:  " The madness of fossil fuels must end. Nonetheless, we cannot stop the crisis of our broken relationship with the natural world by destroying more of the planet. We must stop destroying. Lithium mining is no answer. It is another manifestation of that mad god, progress."

Mr. Kaczynski, in section 92:  " Thus science marches on blindly, without regard to the real welfare of the human race or to any other standard, obedient only to the psychological needs of the scientists and of the government officials and corporation executives who provide the funds for research." 

Kaczynski, in section 113:  ".. it seems highly improbable that any way of changing society could be found that would reconcile freedom with modern technology." I contrast this with Mr. Wilbert's use of Linda Hogan's quote: "progress is a madness that is a sort of god to people."

In no way am I suggesting that Mr. Wilbert aspires to any of the devilish deeds of Mr. Kaczynski. I am only asking that the readers make a comparison between some of the writing between the two individuals.  Mr. Kaczynski's own criminal activities are an entirely separate issue and I am, in absolutely no way, painting Mr. Wilbert with that brush.  I only want to focus on their individual way of seeing the world, because their solutions are light years apart.  One chose violent means and Mr. Wilbert in no way has embraced that destructive and abhorrent path.

I am merely focusing on the fact that Mr. Wilbert's flight into attacking "progress" has been shared by others in the past.  It is not a new concept in the least and all who have swimmed in those philosophical waters have had their own inner voice guiding them along the path as conicidentally they made their own "Claim to Virtue".  Mr. Wilbert, attacks the transformation from fossil fuels to electric vehicles cloaked in the self delusion that he is one of the few who can prevent what he sees as Thacker pass leading into "oblivion".  Is this thought process not, by definition:  his own "Claim to Virtue"?  Of course it is.

Oblivion associated with a lack of progress has occured in a historical context at least once before in the long history of mankind.  A perfect example would be that period from 500 AD to 800 AD, known as the Middle Ages and also referred to as "The Dark Ages".  Been there, done that!  No thanks, Mr. Wilbert.

Just my opinion.  I do have some concern about those who would sally forth on a white horse proclaiming that there cause is the only just cause.  

In fairness to Mr. Wilbert, I repeat his musing from his "Cliam to Virtue" piece so that he can have the last word:

"And so, the “progress” of moving from fossil fuel cars to electric cars may lead Thacker Pass into oblivion—unless we stop this project."

New Message
Please login to post a reply