Mosaic ImmunoEngineering is a nanotechnology-based immunotherapy company developing therapeutics and vaccines to positively impact the lives of patients and their families.

Free
Message: RE: Can we get an idea of how large the Sony settlement is by

RE: Can we get an idea of how large the Sony settlement is by

posted on Jun 08, 2006 05:30AM
Steve,

I went through the exercise rather quickly using 2005 net sales for HP ($20B), Casio ($5B) and Fujitsu ($41B) along with their respective total licensing fees ($21M, $10M, and $30M, respectively). Extrapolating a plot of license fee vs 2005 net sales to Sony`s sales number ($67B) gives a predicted total license fee of $45M. Roughly half of that would be transferred to PTSC (~$22M).

There are lots of assumptions here that may not be valid, e.g., validity of using total net sales and equivalent discounts, and I may not have the numbers exactly right (extracting information from financial statements with differing terms and yen conversion was a test of my patience) but for me it was a worthwhile exercise. If the total license is a lot more than $45M, I`ll be happy. If less, I`ll be disappointed. Regardless of the outcome, I believe the future is bright for PTSC.

If anyone has better data, please enlighten me.

Best Regards.

New Message
Please login to post a reply