Mosaic ImmunoEngineering is a nanotechnology-based immunotherapy company developing therapeutics and vaccines to positively impact the lives of patients and their families.

Free

What does $10M buy you?!

posted on Jan 09, 2008 03:16PM

Interesting that PDS had nearly $10M in expenses for the quarter.  When you consider that the quarter ended Nov 30, and the first stay was issued Nov 1 or so, you gotta think that the lawyers were working pretty hard at settlement negotiations prior to the stay and then furiously during the stay.  Knowing what we pay our lawyers (around $300/hr when you average partners to paralegal fees), based on $10M / $300, that equates to about 33,333 man hours.  Considering there are about 520 man hours in a quarter, that equates to approximately 64 people working full time for the entire quarter on settlement and licensing efforts.

Considering the multiple defendants, multiple patents, and USPTO & Litigation dual fronts, perhaps Ron, or another patent attorney can comment on how realistic that would be or if it's outrageously high or low.  While to me, it seems overkkill by quite a bit, if you consider that Alliancense has people doing the reverse engineering efforts and negotiations for the licensing, you have lawyers working with USPTO to address re-exam issues, you have lawyers working the Texas litigation and all the issues involved with that, and you have multiple plaintiffs and defendants, and I'm sure reams and reams of paper and "reimbursables", perhaps it's not THAT outrageous.  I hope we'll hear that it is blip on the expense radar screen that won't likely be repeated.  But it seems to have bought quite a bit with a decent license fee from Philips, settlement with the J's, and additional licenses closed after the quarter.  April will prove whether the bulk of the legal fees are already accounted for, and if so, I think $10M bought quite a bit.

Jan 09, 2008 03:53PM

Jan 09, 2008 04:35PM
New Message
Please login to post a reply