Mosaic ImmunoEngineering is a nanotechnology-based immunotherapy company developing therapeutics and vaccines to positively impact the lives of patients and their families.

Free

Senator Mikulski's answer to my letter

posted on Feb 06, 2008 04:44PM

Dear Mr. *******:

Thank you for getting in touch with me to express your views about The Patent Reform Act of 2007 (S. 1145/H.R. 1908). Your comments were very helpful. I believe the best ideas come from the people, and they guide our actions here in Washington .

I strongly believe in the importance of scientific research and innovation-friendly government. Creating an environment that fosters such research is critical to ensuring our country is economically competitive in the global marketplace. This requires that innovation and invention are encouraged, and the patent system is responsible for ensuring the creative spirit of all Americans. Adequate funding and a strong patent system protects the incentives of research scientists to continue their important innovations.

That is why I fought for $1.9 billion for the Patent Trademark Office in the Commerce, Justice and Science appropriations bill (S. 1745), which passed the Senate in October of 2007. This funding helped to protect the intellectual property of our inventors, and to reduce the backlog of patent applications.

That is also why in 2006 I introduced the America Creating Opportunities to Meaningfully Promote Excellence in Technology, Education and Science (COMPETES) Act, which authorized

$33.6 billion for science, technology, engineering and mathematics research and education. This bill doubled funding for research programs at the National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, and National Institute of Standards and Technology. I was a proud to support the COMPETES Act on the Senate floor and it was signed into law by the president in April 2007.

The Patent Reform Act of 2007 protects the rights of patent holders and inventors. It improves the quality of issued patents, reduces the expense and complexity of patent litigation, harmonizes America 's patent laws with those of our leading trade partners, and takes into account the special needs of individual inventors, universities and small firms with respect to patents.

This Act passed in the House, and is pending in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Knowing of your comments will be very helpful to me should this bill come to the full Senate for a vote.

I will continue my fight to invest in innovations that create new ideas that lead to new breakthroughs, new products, and new jobs.

If I can be of assistance in the future, do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Barbara A. Mikulski
United States Senator

--------------------------------------

I think she is leaning towards a yes vote

New Message
Please login to post a reply