Mosaic ImmunoEngineering is a nanotechnology-based immunotherapy company developing therapeutics and vaccines to positively impact the lives of patients and their families.

Free
Message: Expanding Avot Market? - ATSC Approves Candidate Standards

emit:

Sorry for the delayed response; it's that time of year.

I agree with what you appear to be pointing out, that being Avot already has a live broadcast component within TipMotion that includes RTSP (real-time streaming protocol), which is a necessary part of the IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystems)-based IPTV. That in and of itself is not enough to make the leap to this market. I still have not looked at all of the pieces, but here is a brief list of questions I have.

Avot's TipMotion falls into the area of "middleware" within the IMS-based IPTV world. Noting that standards have yet to be finalized, they appear to be moving strongly in this direction (IMS). Does TipMotion include the ability to provide the control signaling (via SIP) over the IMS Service Control Interface? This is necessary to allow TipMotion to interact with the system's control functions to set up SIP sessions as well as RTSP sessions, providing the on-demand interactive media streams from the media servers. TipMotion effectively needs to act as an applications server on top of the IMS infrastructure.

Can TipMotion provide a Java-based IMS component? This is another strong component of the ATSC candidate standards for the IP transport layer, specifically the user interface. I believe TipMotion does not currently incorporate a JRE component.

Even if the answer to these two questions is no, the solutions are predominantly software driven (based on what I know of these systems), and could be part of the future releases of the software within the TipMotion architecture. The larger question is, ....

"Is mobile IPTV something that Avot has on their radar?"

I would speculate as the standards solidify the market will see more offerings of middleware solutions. For now, Avot seems to be very close to providing a near off-the-shelf solution, and should the market for mobile IPTV explode, they will be uniquely positioned.

As always, it is an interesting prospect, but will also take time to play-out (pun intended!).

Cheers,

DG

New Message
Please login to post a reply