Mosaic ImmunoEngineering is a nanotechnology-based immunotherapy company developing therapeutics and vaccines to positively impact the lives of patients and their families.

Free
Message: Can we put the SHM in Chicago to rest already? snooze..TIA..em

Having been the one to initiate the whole "Chicago?" debate, I'll throw in my last few words. At first, I stated that IMO the decision to move the ASM THERE was idiotic. Then there was all this discussion about whether it was possible or practical to conduct the meeting THERE. Of course it's possible, and for some, it's practical.

But I stand by my original words, and here's why. If you want to discourage anyone living in southern states (or anywhere distant) from attending, put it THERE. Yup, it is probably possible to get there, and the windy city may have a lot to offer, but there is something called the "pain in the butt" factor. Is there a likelihood of encountering travel difficulties? There is a descent chance? (Most are "intelligent gamblers" here to be invested in this stock, IMO. Will you make travel plans to a destination for a 2-3 hour event when there is a descent chance, with best possible planning, that things go arwy causing you to miss the event?). Is it likely to be bitter cold when you get there? Very likely. Does your wardrobe include mukluks, parka, snowmobile boots, long underwear, etc.? If you live in southern states, probably not. Are you going to go out and acquire a cold weather wardrobe for a one/two day trip? No way. Though this may sound somewhat trivial, this alone would stop many. Putting the ASM THERE places unnecessary hurdles. And that's the point. Any other time of year, fine. Dead of winter?

Now I bet many of the Chicago advocates are saying "Ahh, SGE is a CA boy and doesn't have a clue about dealing with an honest to God winter". Wrong. And I'm talking about living in CA. It depends on just where you live in CA. I've lived all over this state. Central coast (where I again reside, and have spent the bulk of my life), the high desert of Palmdale/Lancaster (AKA "Landscatter" due to high winds - with snow in the winter), the Bay Area/Silicon Valley, the Big Valley, and several years at Lake Almanor Peninsula. Lake Almanor, high in the Sierra's (4500 ft). Snow began falling in Oct, and stopped in early June. Yes June. I graduated from HS on a June 2nd - it snowed that morning. In mid-May 1976, we got four feet of snow in two days, on top of a foot of hard pack. First time ever snowed in (most plows/plow drivers retired in Spring). Plows only running on the main road (a mile away). No power, no phone. Thank God we had three fireplaces (one dedicated to year-round BBQ) and two wood stoves. Cut and split 12-15 cords of pine every summer to keep us warm in winter without having to depend on electricity or fuel oil. And yes, I had to walk a mile in snow to get to school (actually, to get to the main road bus stop). I mention that snow in May. The winters were brutal. But it was a really nice place to live - in the Summer! Notice I don't live there any more. And I'd NEVER live there again. Why? Pain in the butt factor. The big difference between there and THERE, though we probably got a lot more snow, is the high winds that Chi-town is famous (infamous?) for.

It's real easy for us southland folks to just say "I don't want to deal with it". And, unlike some who suggest there is some hidden reason for the meeting to be held THERE, IMO the reason is extremely obvious - to discourage attendance, plain and simple. Do you honestly believe that employees of some entity of import to PTSC based in Chicago, with some truly significany input, wouldn't welcome the chance to escape to SoCal for a few days? Don't want to spent the travel money? Then I would think their input would not be significant, at all, to THEM. And if it were THAT significant to us, we could foot the travel bill (it would be a wash - our guys travel or their guys travel).

We'll find out soon enough.... It's only a couple months away. And in PTSC time, that's a nanosecond!

JMHOs,

SGE

New Message
Please login to post a reply