Mosaic ImmunoEngineering is a nanotechnology-based immunotherapy company developing therapeutics and vaccines to positively impact the lives of patients and their families.

Free
Message: In this lull, just waitin' on tha' dock of tha' Bay, killin' time ...

I just did that! This morning I sent the following email (mostly copied from GeoffParkers post) to: Bloomberg, Businessweek, CBS, CNN, CNET, ComputerWorld, Dow Jones, Fortune, Huffington Post, Inc., NYT, Reuters, The Economist, USA Today, WSJ, and Ziff Davis.

= = =

Dear :

I am not sure if you have heard anything about Patriot Scientific Corporation's win against HTC, but there should be a movie made about the ordeals this company has gone through. The PR about this victory read like this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/patriot-wins-patent-infringement-suit-191300924.html

But the story started in1989, when Messrs. Moore and Fish filed their application for the ’336 patent, the fastest commercially available microprocessor was Intel’s 486 processor operating at 33 MHz. That same year, using the invention claimed in the ’336 patent, the inventors were able to produce an inexpensive processor that ran more than twice as fast, at 70 MHz. They achieved this substantial performance boost through an innovation regarding how they clocked their processor.

The speed of all microprocessors is governed by timing control signals called clocks, requiring processors to perform operations in cycles timed to a specific frequency allows them to operate in concert with other components. Up until Messrs. Moore and Fish’s invention, timing control was achieved through the use of crystals that could be caused to resonate and produce an oscillating signal used as a clock.

However, the use of crystals was fundamentally limited because crystals cannot be located on the chip with the CPU and because crystals cannot be processed with enough precision to produce frequencies higher than roughly 30 MHz. In other words, without an advance in clocking technology, processor performance would have been stuck at the level the 1989 Intel 486 processor. Without the additional speed found in today’s microprocessors, operations like watching a video, surfing the Internet and other now common activities would be impossible.

The ’336 patent solves the external crystal speed barrier by moving the clock onto the same chip as the CPU. However, due to manufacturing limitations, a crystal cannot be moved on chip; the inventors needed another structure. They selected a known structure that had not been used to clock CPUs in the past, known as a ring oscillator. A ring oscillator is a circuit that receives a voltage or current input that passes through multiple inverters and then loops back on itself to cause the current or voltage to oscillate between a high and low state with a specific periodicity or frequency. This results in a wave pattern of highs and lows in which faster frequencies are represented by faster oscillations between the high and low states.

Today, virtually all modern microprocessors, including those in Respondents’ phones, tablets, and other accused products, use ring oscillators incorporated onto the same chip as the CPU to produce clock signals. They all exploit the performance advantage first realized by Messrs. Moore and Fish in 1989, and which the’336 patent protects.

This story seems to be reaching its conclusion, and I thought it might be of interest to you. In any event, thank you for your time.

Craig
Shareholder

= = =

For those of you interested in contacting these people, I used the email addresses from the following list of tech writers who accept outside PR news:

http://tinyurl.com/mdsh8mm

New Message
Please login to post a reply