Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free
Aug 12, 2013 10:13PM

Aug 12, 2013 10:16PM

Aug 12, 2013 10:29PM

Aug 12, 2013 11:40PM

Aug 13, 2013 04:42AM
Aug 13, 2013 09:11AM

Aug 13, 2013 09:28AM

Solesius:

"And we may be forgetting something important. Superfast DRAM would be pointless without an integrated chip that can supply and process these speeds. That goes both ways...no point in having a superfast chips if other parts of the electronics can't handle these speeds."

This is something to consider, but it's not a problem since all of the components under the hood of your computer appear to be working below their maximum speed because of the way they communicate with eachother.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/engineering/eleceng/Adv_Network_Tech/Html/publications/IEEESpectrum.8.8.02.pdf

FTA:

"The movement of data in a computer is almost the converse of the movement of traffic in a city. Downtown, in the congested core of the microprocessor, the bits fly at an extraordinary rate. But further out, on the broad avenues of copper that link one processor to another and one circuit board to the next, things slow down to a comparative crawl. A Pentium 4 introduced this spring operates at 2.4 GHz, but the data travels on a bus operating at only 400 MHz. The speed picks up again, though, out on the highways of the world's optical-fiber telecommunications networks. Obviously, the closer engineers can bring the optical superhighway to the microprocessor, the fewer copper bottlenecks can occur, as if you could pull out of your driveway straight onto the Autobahn."

Having said all this, I personally don't think this consortium involves POET. IBM seems to be opening up a previously proprietary technology for other companies to use. That is, it's an existing technology that others in the consortium are interested in using.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7204/ibm-offers-power-technology-for-licensing-forms-openpower-consortium

"Along with the forming of the OpenPOWER Consortium, POWER hardware and software will be made available for open development for the first time, and POWER IP will be licensable to others."

and for the NVidia part:

"The NVIDIA aspect is also interesting, considering how many of the Top 500 Supercomputer list now use some form of GPU. Sumit Gupta from NVIDIA’s Tesla Accelerated Computing Business states, “The OpenPOWER Consortium brings together an ecosystem of hardware, system software, and enterprise applications that will provide powerful computing systems based on NVIDIA GPUs and POWER CPUs.” Considering NVIDIA has also announced their intent to license Kepler and future GPU IP to third parties, we could potentially see SoCs in the coming years with POWER-based CPU cores and NVIDIA-licensed GPU cores in place of the common ARM and PowerVR solutions so prevalent today."

In my opinion, what we are seeing here is some of the biggest companies who have pushed their own technology to the limit and now they need to ally themselves with other companies to create something that will improve upon current techology.

None of these compaines can push their own technology any further.

So how does POET fit into all of this? I don't think it does. It's still in development, so it's unlikely that there are full products being developed besides the BAE sensor, IMO. I think we will be able to buy POET products in 2015. In the meantime we will be sold for lots of money and I will buy shares in whatver company ends up licensing it first:)

Aug 13, 2013 10:36AM
New Message
Please login to post a reply