Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

My first gut reaction is that I don't think it says anything specific about a connection with POET. They could have alluded to some promising R&D if they wanted to reassure shareholders. Instead they have promised more of the same IMO.

As another poster wrote, you wonder what Intel shareholders would be thinking after a statement like "We've lost our way..." Well, I think the assumption is that shareholders already know this and Intel thinks preaching to the choir is a way of assuring them they they are aware and taking steps to rectify the situation.

Having said that, the steps they announced are not encouraging if you own any Intel stock because shareholders have been enduring promises of new chips with new names with smaller gates for years now. As we have learned from our own research, boasting another shrink from one node to another smaller one in silicon is rapidly becoming meaningless. They can call the next chip apple pie and shrink it to 10nm if they want, but it's not going to outperform the 14nm chips the way the 45nm chips did compared with the 65nm chips they replaced half a decade ago.

So the way I think this article connects to POET is that it shows Intel's desperation and their readiness to address the problem they have been denying. Peter had to publish a response to a statement made by Intel, denying the death of Moore's law. In a way, this article still suggests some denial of that fact. Nevertheless, they have apparently turned on a dime to redraw their roadmap so to me there is no doubt they would do the same again if POET's promise comes true. I also think there's a strong possibility they'll pay through the nose to deny it to anyone else to avoid being in the position they currently face ever again.

New Message
Please login to post a reply