Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

I write this stating openly it is not meant for long term POET enthusiasts. It is for those who have recently joined this forum who may not know what a microprocessor does and are relying on heresay about how good it is; I simply hope it helps you grasp what POET offers.

All microprocessors are made up millions or billions of transistors. A transistor is a switch and is either off or on. If it it's on it represents the number 1 and off represents 0. If you count numbers in ones and zeroes you are counting in binary fashion. You can represent lots of things as numbers, such as big numbers, letters, dots on a screen, sound frequencies. You can also link transistors to behave logically. So you can use words like AND; OR; NOT AND; NOT OR. Thus 1 AND 0 =1. That sort of thing. If you do this and put ones and zeroes in groups you can move the group (BYTES) around inside the microprocessor and store them and use them when necessary.

All this is done in a step by step process run by an electrical clock. So, you can see if the clock runs faster more ones and zeroes are processed. If you then transter the information using light then you move the information around at the speed of light and nothing else can ever go faster than this. Also, because light is effectively cool you don't produce a lot of heat doing it.

Where POET absolutely devastates Silicon is in its molecular make-up, because it allows the electrons (they are very tiny negative electrical charges) inside a transistor to move more freely because there are more of then to do so. Thus, if you put the high clock speed and abundant electrons together it makes POET many times faster that Silicon something like 20 times. Also, because Silicon is impregnated with other elements to make it a better transistor, these impurities interfere with electron movement and forcing them to move faster generates heat which has to be cooled. Its why you have fans in a computer; if you listen you'll hear them whirring. POET just doesn't have anything like this problem and so there is much less heat. Heat means power loss. POET uses much less power, so a battery will last 4 to 5 times longer.

All this means that a POET microprocessor works so much faster and cooler than Silicon that we, as investors, believe the industry can only address the increasing demands for faster processing by using POET because there is simply nothing else; Geoffrey Taylor is confident on this and he should know. To give you some idea of this revolution. It took the Silicon industry something like 5 - 8 years to increase clock speeds by a factor of 5 and its stuck at around 3 Giga Hertz (3 billion turns of the clock per second). It takes a POET microprocessor overnight to increase it by a further factor of 20 (to 60 GHz). This is devastation on a grand scale and a killer in my view. It is why we use the term a disruptive technology; I truly believe that term is justified.

I believe it means that the initial uses for POET will be at the high and expensive end of computing. Much more importantly it will allow the development of the gigantic processing required for items like driverless vehicles, robotics, cloud computing, massive data trawls, espionage, aeronautics and space and who knows what else; it is truly mind boggling. Also for items that require batteries such as all mobile technology.

What opportunities!

New Message
Please login to post a reply