Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Hello, as I've had a few hours to review the 20-F filing I thought I would share some of the interesting points i've noticed. It looks as if Poet is ready to begin manufacturing prototypes with BAE? And are going to be used with military as they have revieved the "AFRL" grant. I also thought this was very interesting "Additionally, a qualifier for receiving CPP funding is the acknowledgement of the firm’s willingness to commercialize a portion of the funded technology, thus providing commercial customers access to packaged parts, enabling the technology to be adopted for commercial and military systems". This 20-F filing appears to be very good news to clear the air on debated topics although nothing should be written in stone as of yet until we have a news release the contracts have been signed. I will post the DD below as quoted from the Poet technologies 20-F Filing. I am very sorry for the long message of information but I believe it is important we find solid information from releases the company has issued to backup our opinions and not get lost in the dissaray of what everyone believes 'may' happen. Most of this only relates to the military applications, I often find myself amazed at the oppertunities behind the Poet platform and the possibilities of what it may allow to be invented (Quantam Computing?).

With some more DD on the us airforce research laboratory website I found this and I quote:

"As a part of the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), AFOSR’s technical experts foster and fund research within AFRL, universities, and industry laboratories to ensure the transition of research results to support USAF (united states air force) needs".

---------

Manufacturing

The Company has contracted with BAE for the transition phase of its POET platform development from the POET laboratory on the campus of UCONN.If successfully completed, the Company expects to negotiate with BAE for the continued and on-going manufacture of wafers to meet the Company’s initial requirements for sampling and marketing purposes.

BAE’s III-V GaAs fabrication facility is ISO 9001/14001 certified, military specification certified and can produce radiation hard devices. BAE’s state of the art facility houses two 3” wafer diameter production lines and two 6” wafer diameter production lines within 14,000 sq. ft. and a wafer test area covering 16,000 sq. ft. The facility is vibration isolated and environmentally controlled for sub-micron device development and manufacture. We believe that there is substantial capacity available to us for implementation of our development and to-market plans, and that BAE would be receptive to making such capacity available to us. Currently, a staff of over 150 engineers is devoted to design and development with another 70 devoted to foundry operations and testing. Thus the Company believes that BAE’s wafer production capabilities can be a significant resource to the Company’s marketing efforts.

Military

POET could have the ability to offer a low-cost monolithic solution to multi-spectral imaging. The compact array could provide: (i) detection, readout and analog-to-digital conversion on a single chip; (ii) a common axis for ultraviolet, visible and infrared imaging; (iii) wavelength scanning; and (iv) 300K operation with no cooling required. The Space Foundation has indicated that this technology satisfies Space Situational Awareness (“SSA”) sensor requirements by providing required capability with significantly reduced size, weight and power. In addition, the Air Force Communications Command and Control Division (“C3”) Tech Area Plan identifies mid- and long-term space communication and C3 technology challenges that require the photonic applications that POET is designed to provide.

After testing, the Air Force Commercialization Pilot Program (“CPP”) selected POET’s ultraviolet/infrared/visible imaging technology project as their candidate for a U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory (“AFRL”) grant to fund the POET transition program and Phase III effort. Utilizing AFRL funding, the Company and BAE have entered into a transition program to jointly produce the POET platform and take it to production. Furthermore, BAE and other military prime contractors have expressed interest in using the POET platform in systems/subsystems for their Department of Defense customers. Additionally, a qualifier for receiving CPP funding is the acknowledgement of the firm’s willingness to commercialize a portion of the funded technology, thus providing commercial customers access to packaged parts, enabling the technology to be adopted for commercial and military systems.

NASA

POET’s technology platform for optoelectronic integration is designed to exploit the optoelectronic and electronic behaviors of GaAs semiconductor material. One of the benefits of this material, from a space electronics perspective, is that GaAs is significantly less susceptible to x-ray and gamma-ray total integrated dose radiation. GaAs has been a long-standing choice for high-frequency devices and circuits, though GaAs digital devices do not provide the performance that metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor devices provide. Currently, the POET platform is being evaluated in connection with a NASA deep space probe initiative.

New Message
Please login to post a reply