Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Jackthebear, I realize you have not been with the Poet crowd for very long compared to some of us. I have been invested for many years and have attended several AGMs and talked with Taylor, Simone, Gagnon and lab guys too.
Be assured the direction Poet has taken is vastly different than any other. Yes, there is competition in the near term, but to my understanding, there is no one close to a single optoelectric solution using our unique III-V material structure. (Not to mention continued scaling possibilitieswith our solution, and the immense advantage utilizing quatum dots for future developments in quantum computing - and Poet can be deployed in existing silicon fabs). So when you see something come out stating power savings etc and it is not Poet, it is probably talking about a silicon device.
From the compnay web site -
"The POET (Planar Opto Electronic Technology) platform is a patented semiconductor fabrication process that uses gallium arsenide technology to combine electronic and optical elements on a single integrated circuit. Utilizing standard CMOS fabrication equipment and process steps, POET and PET will allow semiconductor manufacturers to make microchips that are much faster and more energy efficient than current silicon devices, and far less expensive to produce."
Silicon is nearing the end of its scalability for power and energy savings as chips are required to be stacked - and then heat is a major issue. I believe this is why the military has such an interest in Poet. This connection is not discussed on the forum much but I think military will be an initial user of the technology. We already know it is being considered for use in a deep space probe - based on the 20-F filed with the US SEC.
I think military could be our first source of revenues.
So I wouldn't panic too much when you see/read things about supposed progress utilizing silicon. Companies will continue on the silicon path to the very end as there is so many $$$ at stake. They will do this until they hit the wall, or they finally realize Poet has a much better solution. The Poet revelation/revolution may take a little longer than some would like, but I believe it will happen sooner rather than later.

New Message
Please login to post a reply