Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

With apologies to whoever it was originally posted this link for stealing any of your thunder. The attached link was worth advertising as I felt that Chris Mack's talk is very pertinent to POET and is most edifying and informative to anyone trying to understand the terminology and development around Moore's Law. I recommend it to all.

Its significant point to POET is that Moore's law although generally thought to be about technical development of IC, has at its basis an economic theory that the manufacturing of chips becomes cheaper as node size decreases. The fact is that this is no longer so unless of course POET is adopted, says I.

The link is:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/processors/the-multiple-lives-of-moores-law

I also attach include below some quotes from the article by Chris Mack :

"A few years from now, we may look back on 2015 as the year the tide turned and the cost of transistors stopped falling and started to rise.

I’ve been known for making grand pronouncements at lithography conferences about the coming end of Moore’s Law. But the truth is, I don’t think Moore’s Law is over. Instead, I’d argue it’s on the verge of morphing again.

progress will be defined by new forms of integration: gathering together disparate capabilities on a single chip to lower the system cost. This might sound a lot like the Moore’s Law 1.0 era, but in this case, we’re not looking at combining different pieces of logic into one, bigger chip. Rather, we’re talking about uniting the non-logic functions that have historically stayed separate from our silicon chips.

Once we get past our expectations for easily quantifiable progress, we could see an explosion of creative applications: bionic appendages that operate seamlessly with the body, smartphones that can sniff the air or test the water, tiny sensors that can power themselves from ambient energy sources, and a host of other applications we have yet to imagine. Moore’s Law as we know it might be coming to an end. But its legacy will keep us moving forward for a long time to come.

with regards

Sula

New Message
Please login to post a reply