Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Hello all

I haven't posted for quite some time. Mainly because I didn't have anything of significant value to add. I suppose this post could be classified in pretty much the same way.

Perhaps we could take turns posting something every couple of minutes, just so we have something to read while we sit, staring at our computor, tablet or phone screens (whatever the case may be). Baba almost got a discussion on irony going last night. And I almost took the bait, but I was tired from an entire day of not getting any work done. Irony is of course one of the four major tropes along with Metaphor, Metonymy and Synecdoche.

I agree with Baba's proposition that it is an often misused term. Alanis Morrissette's song "Ironic" is a case in point. The song constantly uses examples of coincidence as a misguided example of irony.

It is interesting that when using irony to communicate, there must always be an ironic signifier embedded somehow/somewhere within the communication. The signifier can take the form of a tonal shift in vocal communication or simply the context in which the communication is given. For example, if i said "this POET trading halt has become so boring", I assume that the context of saying such a thing on this forum would identify the comment as ironic, since, I believe, a significant part of the forum are on the edge of their seats while accomplishing almost nothing.

Anyway, there it is. If this post is deleted due to OT content, I'm okay with that. I'm just getting a little antsy. And it looks like people are already doing what I suggested above.

GLAL

HaL (hold the Sir)

New Message
Please login to post a reply