Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Lumenge,

Strangest thing to me is that none of these new features are... new. With the exception of the fiber attach IP, we've been hearing about these features for a while. Look at the wording: "better enable", "extend applicability", "improved", "latest generation".

To me it is a like Shash said, but not quite. We don't have an overpriced, limited-production Lamborghini, we have a simplified, low-cost design ready for mass market with performance to match the sports cars (maybe tesla 3?).

Heres my take on the improved features.

1) waveguides that minimize reflections: Waveguides are to photonics what wires are to electronics. Lower reflections means less loss of power and lower interference. As Fj often points out less power loss means you can use lower power lasers in your design. That may be make or break for a particlar application.

2) sub micron accuracy fiducials: We are essentially using super small bumps and pits (think legos) to align our components. Better accuracy means a more robust product with fewer rejects and more light into the waveguide and lower loss. Same story as above.

3) vertical mirrors. They talked about these in the past also. Needed for wafer scale testing and vertical laser applications. Basically we can take light in or out through the top of the chip as well as the side.

4) Spot size converts are once again shining that light where you want it for improved performance or running lower power.

5) MZ again we have been told these were available in the past. These are use to break a light wave into constituent frequencies or to take multiple light inputs and produce one output. Obviously required to do this well for WDM.

6) New IP for fiber align. This could be a truly new thing. I always wondered why POET seemed to not talk about this much. You always need a way to get the fiber optic cable to attach to your product and you don't want a human being involved. Hopefully we will learn more about this as time goes on.

All in all I think they are saying individual components have been getting wrung out as they are combined into actual prototype systems in a product. Now they feel mass manufacturing is ready. But I suspect they will continue to improve all the items above further in the future. The competition will always be there.

Rogue

Oct 29, 2020 02:22PM
New Message
Please login to post a reply