Aiming to become the global leader in chip-scale photonic solutions by deploying Optical Interposer technology to enable the seamless integration of electronics and photonics for a broad range of vertical market applications

Free

Shash, I really enjoyed your post. Well done.

In all seriousness I recall spending time looking into the details around the cost benefits of multiplexed solutions.

Transceivers utilizing multiplexed solutions (ie POET’s FR4) have typically been much more expensive than solutions that do not include multiplexing capability and instead use 4 times the fiber. That is, LR4 requires 8 fibers (4 send and 4 receive) and FR4 (POET) requires only 2 fibers with 4 channels on each fiber. So the costs associated with using a more expensive transceiver and reducing the number of parallel fibers was fairly straight forward and it basically came down to distance. Using 4 times the fiber over a short distance and a lower cost transceiver (LR4) was economic. Using 4 times the fiber over a longer distance and the lower cost transceiver (LR4) was not. 

Along comes POET with a very low cost, high performance FR4 solution allowing the data center to reduce the fiber plant costs by 75% with a much lower cost FR4 transceiver. 

In other words POET is changing the Data Center model with these low cost multiplexed solutions by reducing the fiber plant costs. It is an amazing technology. 

As I was looking for some of my old posts on the subject, I came across this excellent post from ITTR which is definitely worth another look.

Agoracom: Small Cap Investment - POET Technologies Inc. - 400G FR4 - Remote Light Source (Cisco)

New Message
Please login to post a reply